Author Topic: Replacing Cutless bearing on Hylas 44  (Read 433 times)

joel

Re: Replacing Cutless bearing on Hylas 44
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »
There are cutlass bearing pullers that allow you to leave the shaft in place.  They are very expensive.  If your boat yard has one, it would be cheaper to pay them to do the job.

Otherwise you are looking at removing the tranny (if it creates enough space) or dropping the rudder.

Joel

Norm

Re: Replacing Cutless bearing on Hylas 44
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »
The strut holding the cutlass bearing is 5.85 inches long, so a 6 inch bearing would be fine. Regarding pulling the shaft, I don't think it can be pulled out past the rudder strut since it is aimed directly at it, and there would need to be a significant amount of play between the cutlass bearing and the stuffing box tube to angle the shaft sufficiently to clear the strut. Maybe I am wrong and others have a way to do that.
I removed the shaft when I replaced the engine by sliding it forward under the engine when it was lifted; the bulkhead, sinks, and counter top forward of the engine were removed at the time.
Norm

NordicSunII

Replacing Cutless bearing on Hylas 44
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »
Any one have any advice about replacing cutless bearing on Hylas 44.  I know the diameter of my shaft, but how long is the cutless bearing?  Any issues with pulling the shaft out?  Have original westerbeke W70 engine.

Greg

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below