Author Topic: 2000 hylas 46 "Chain plates"  (Read 835 times)

Ripple

Re: 2000 hylas 46 "Chain plates"
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 11:15:22 AM »
Don and Gloria,

Did you ever ever get an answer to your observations? There are no bolts, everything is welded together. It is the most concerning thing about Hylas boats. A previous post detailed how they fixed  deteriorated plates with new ones by attaching plates to the existing knees. They are vulnerable where they pass thru the deck so probably good practice to inspect and rebed every other year or so.

Jim
H46-53

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 05:01:05 AM »
For what it's worth we had three different riggers do inspections and / or work on our boat in the last 6 years including Hylas' own Brad Storm doing a decommissioning. We have not seen the same issues you're mentioning. I'd be somewhat concerned and in the very least replacing standing rigging and looking closely at chain plates and the fiberglass around the areas.

Best of luck. See you soon enough in Mexico
Chris
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

Windswept

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 03:24:41 AM »
Hello Brian....thanks for you input. I do suspect the rigging is original....which actually does not look that bad for it's age. Having said that....yes, we will be replacing standing rigging before departing we depart for the planet. ;)

My thinking now, (after another day inspecting) this brown stain, is some sort of product (rust stopper) that was introduced at the chain plate/deck area before they re-bedded the chain plate, deck plate? I say this as the stain area (root beer stain color) is slightly sticky. This sticky aspect has me scratching my head.

Last note.....the deck area around the chain plates are solid.

Another note.... Today, I picked up a telescoping mirror....and was able to slip it behind with flashlight (removing furniture back panels) so as to attempt to view chain plate. It seems the chain plate is a large stainless knee type bracket that looks to be glassed in. I do not see a chain plate bolted to this stainless bracket. I would think I should be able to see the chain plate bolts. Any ideas on my observation?

Thanks in advance.

Don & Gloria

Aria49

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:30:26 PM »
Doesn't sound good too me. If the rigging is original, it all has to be replaced.  They have been leaking, so the decks around the plates are probably soft. Need to check it all out with a reputable rigger.  I would be very careful with this one, could turn into lots of $ to fix properly.   
Brian Stork
Aria  H49#30

Windswept

2000 hylas 46 "Chain plates"
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 03:35:23 PM »
Hello Members.... Don & Gloria here on the West Coast. We are in Gig Harbor right now (second trip) looking at Windswept, a 2000 Hylas 46. Yesterday I noticed on the port side (just below the forward double bunk) nasty (looks to me) rust streaks running down the inside of the hull. Very difficult to really see....but appears to be the shroud (middle). I might add....the color stain I'm looking at, looks fresh (not real wet) kind of dry, but feels slightly sticky to the touch!

I also see this same color on the sides of other chain plates.... I'm using a cell phone to take pics of some of the difficult areas of the chain plates.

Can anyone give me some insight....on what I have described. Thank you in advance.

Best
Don & Gloria

Our long term goal is to leave Cali on the 2019 Baha haha as a launch to continue on around (10 to 12 years) ;))

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below