Author Topic: Replacing the galley sink in a 2002 46'  (Read 101 times)

johnspiegel

Re: Replacing the galley sink in a 2002 46'
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
Thanks for the Corian tips. Someday...

We also get small puddles of water around the sink by the wooden fiddles. I like that your sink is mounted under the corian, ours has a lip on top of our laminate countertop, so we can't easily just sweep the water into the sink. I've found "skoy" cloths to be most effective for mopping up those puddles. It's really absorbent, but you can easily squeeze most of the water out. Highly recommended. https://www.amazon.com/Skoy-Cleaning-Cloth-White-Set/dp/B002X08WLY

We dry our dishes on a rack on the countertop behind the sink. While you look for a new sink, maybe try washing your dishes in the big basin and putting the clean ones back there to dry?

-John

mi.dreaming

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:57:31 PM »
Hi John-- we want a single basin. There are a few factors of hatred with this sink- the faucet is aligned with the useless divider, so water splashes everywhere and you end up rinsing where the divider is anyway... ridiculous. The main challenge is the small side is where we end up doing dishes, so that the clean dishes aren't next to the stairs, getting all that foot traffic near them. The Corian is great, but it does need a quality waffle-woven dish rag to soak up the water. (The micro fiber towels and linen towels just push water around. I found this to be strange, but Costco had a great set that I use constantly. )  If you do go with Corian, look at what Carolyn O'Brien did! ( http://www.womenandcruising.com/galley-12-refits.htm#CarolynOBrien )   I would love this galley refit!

Where the wood and Corian meet, stuff gets wedged, and that's just not good- so she made the edges all Corian.  I have a friend that did curved edges with one molded piece and then capped them with wood, to keep a nice frame. Either way it's better than than flat counter to varnished wood. That's what we have, and water finds it's way there- another reason for lots of dish towels.

johnspiegel

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »
Hi Michelle,

Just curious - is there anything broken about your sink, or would you just rather have a single sink you can better fit pots in? Sorry, don't have any advice about pulling the sink out. Doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult on our 46. (We've toyed with the idea of putting in white Corian.)

-John Spiegel

mi.dreaming

Replacing the galley sink in a 2002 46'
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 07:49:02 PM »
Has anyone ever replaced (or had to remove) their galley sink? We have a double sink that is quickly becoming the bane of my existence as well as allowing my "sailor vocabulary" to be used and expanded upon.  It seems to need exploratory surgery just get the answer if the sink can be exchanged. So, I'm not sure how deep I need to delve into this before I've hit the point of calling a "contractor-that-I-couldn't-afford-in-the-first-place-which-is-why-I-tried-to-do-it-myself". (Official title.)

I know some of you have posted about removing the engine, and so you guys know how the sink is in, hopefully someone will have a picture or at least some insight to share before the engine compartment becomes the place where I live for the the next... few days-weeks?

Thanks, Michelle
SV Beleza 46'

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below