Author Topic: H 49 Water under the aft berth.  (Read 509 times)

Moonlight

Re: H 49 Water under the aft berth.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 03:55:29 PM »
Mike,
When we purchased our 49, the rudder shaft leaked quite a bit but, I believe, all the water easily drained to the bilge.  We had the rudder pulled and the packing replaced and it's been dry ever since.  I don't recall anything blocking it's path, so now I'm going to have to go back and take a look at it, but, if I recall correctly, there is a floor above the hull that the batteries and water tank sit on and any water coming from the rudder shaft goes under that. 

Jack Price
S/V Moonlight H49-31

mbenjamin

H 49 Water under the aft berth.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 12:37:47 PM »
I have discovered water under the aft berth that I believe is coming from the rudder post.  A few drips do accumulate over time.  I will need to address whether the amount of water is acceptable. However, my issue is that there does not appear to be any drain hole for the water to reach the bilge.  Thinking of making a drain hole so water doesn't rise under the batteries, the inverter and other electrical connections which are all in the same area.  Anyone had a similar issue?

Mike Benjamin
S/V Exodus H 49-65
Mike Benjamin
Exodus  H49-65

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below