Author Topic: Watermakers on 49's  (Read 868 times)

Alan Steele

Re: Watermakers on 49's
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 03:13:26 PM »
Bob,

Thank you so much for all of the info. Although we did not have anything pre-plumbed, with your help I believe I can muddle through this now. Thank you again so much for all of your time in putting this info together for us 49 owners!

I will also be installing a scuba compressor (Brownies YP-25) in the lazerette and will let everyone know how that project goes in the future.

Fair Winds,

Alan Steele
Legacy
H 49 #64

bobknapp

• Quintessa
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 12:33:11 PM »
Alan,

Following up on my previous post, and in response to questions that you posted, I have provided a collection of photos of the water-maker installation aboard Quintessa.

To secure the membrane/Clark pump component an additional inch plywood pad was fiber-glassed beneath the pad for the electrical bonding system.  The plywood was initially bonded with thickened West epoxy, then filleted around the edges, and lastly covered with several layers of glass cloth.  Because space was tight under the removable bunk boards, the assembly had to be tipped so that the lower rubber mounting grommets rested flat against the hull below the new pad.  So as to not penetrate the hull with attachment screws, the lower pair of grommets acted solely as bumpers and did not receive screws.  To still provide adequate mechanical attachment, two extra holes were drilled along the upper row of grommets, and fitted with two additional grommets obtained from Spectra.  The result provided a row of four attachment grommets along the upper edge (along with the two attachment grommets along the middle row).  These grommets were attached with large self-tapping screws through the bushings provided.

In the filter locker, a stainless-steel mount was fabricated to hold an assembly of two filter housings. The stainless flange was used because the filters needed to be held further out due to the angle of the hull.  The other change to the standard installation, was to reverse the internal components of the service module to better accommodate the hose runs. The only consequence of this change was to relabel the ports and handle positions.  Lastly, a two-way valve was installed in the discharge line to eliminate the quick-connect fittings provided by Spectra and to make the pickling process easier.  The manifold for the product water was installed by Hylas as part of their water-maker pre-installation option.

The control/feed pump module fit easily in the locker beneath the forward hanging locker.  This location proved convenient for the pre-installed wiring and plumbing, and was  close to the fresh water supply in the forward head.  You will notice in both the filter locker and control module locker the machinery was carefully positioned to still allow reasonable storage in the two lockers.  The result was that these locker spaces were not entirely given up to the water-maker!

The thru-hull valve and strainer were also pre-installed.  This plumbing was located in the adjacent floor-board locker in the forward cabin, which I think was a good location for it. The thru hull was fitted with a forward-facing scoop.

Lastly, there was a question about providing power to the unit.  The pre-install package included heavy amperage wire from the main panel.  Due to the high power-draw (and the size of the wire required) the wiring was made directly to the breaker switch and did not go thru the modular punch-down connection buss.  I would recommend following this set-up and not to run the power off the bow battery.  The wiring chases up the port side just below the hull/deck joint can be easily accessed and will allow for a clean installation of all the wiring, including the control wires.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to address them.

Link to Dropbox for pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n9qlobydlhjhj6v/AAAf_0cxXT6T6AMYzFdLqW9Fa?dl=0

Regards, Bob Knapp
s/v Quintessa (H49-46)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:52:46 PM by bobknapp »

Alan Steele

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »
We just purchased a Catalina 340Z water maker also and am in the process of figuring out how to mount this animal. We would be eternally grateful of any suggestions and photographs of exactly how you fit everything and where the components go. We  have the general Idea  but as always a picture is worth a thousand words. Could you please take a couple of pics and post them?? I was also thinking about running the electrical to the bow thruster battery with a relay so the heavy wiring would be from the thruster battery and the relay powered from the circuit breaker on the panel at the nav station. Also did you mount the remote control panel at the nav station?? Fun stuff. I also assume you mounted the membrane with the Clark pump to the hull stringers?? again a picture is worth its weight in gold. The last question is the thru hull placement..............??

Thank you for any help!

Alan

Legacy
H 49 # 64
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:28:02 PM by Alan Steele »

Aria49

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 10:49:30 PM »
Thanks again, so nice to have a resource like this.
They found room for the Catalina 340z under v berth.
Had to update the forward air conditioner to make it fit.
Brian Stork
Aria  H49#30

bobknapp

• Quintessa
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 08:23:42 AM »
We installed a Spectra Catalina on our H49. The membrane with the attached Clark pump is mounted to the starboard hull under the forward cabin bunk. A fiberglassed plywood pad was affixed just below the grounding plate pad for attaching the mounting screws. It fits perfectly with the forward end of the membrane tucked in past the aft edge and close alongside the bow battery box. The filters, strainers and service manifold are located on the three sides of the small lower cabinet just under the aft end of the starboard bunk.  The high pressure pump and electronic control module is located against the hull in the next cabinet back (below the hanging locker). This arrangement allows excellent access for service and repairs to all the components.  We are very pleased with the installation, not to mention the watermaker itself!

Bob Knapp
s/v Quintessa (H49-46)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:01:07 PM by bobknapp »

johnspiegel

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 08:00:36 PM »
On our Hylas 46, we had a Spectra Cape Horn Extreme 330 installed under the sole in forward cabin (we bought the boat with a broken Pur/Katadyn 80E there). It was a tight fit, to get it to fit in there. we had to split up and re-arrange the components (biggest change was separating the membrane housing from the "Clark Pump" apparatus). But we're quite happy with the watermaker itself (very efficient and pretty quiet), and it's great to have it installed without taking up any of our storage space.

John Spiegle
Vesper, Hylas 46 #30

Aria49

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »
Thank you all very much for the feed back.  This helps a lot.  Have a great New Year!
Brian Stork
Aria  H49#30

chrismarcos

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 09:41:26 PM »
Hi Brian,
we have an EchoTec,, 20 gallon per hour, Ac unit. I installed it three years ago and just love it! The high pressure pump is under that Vberth bed and everything else is in the  hanging locker in the forward cabin....membrane, panel, all filters etc. Very convenient and easy to get to!
Chris
S/V Changes H49#45

steve herlong

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 09:27:55 PM »
Our Spectra unit is installed under the forward lower quarter berth aboard Rise. The access is very easy.

Steve

RISE. H49/28

cspath

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 07:59:54 PM »
We have a Sea Recovery aqua whisper installed under the V berth on our Hylas 49.
Delfina H49/49

Aria49

Watermakers on 49's
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »
Aria is going through a extensive refit this winter.  Having a difficult time finding a location for Water maker parts.  Any 49's out there with water makers?  Would love to know where you put the components.  Any insight would be most helpful.

Brian
Brian Stork
Aria  H49#30

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below