Author Topic: Fuel tank hoses  (Read 975 times)

Ripple

Re: Fuel tank hoses
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 08:26:30 PM »
On our 2004 46-53, Burt's Dec 19 post describes our setup. We have three manifolds: pickup for the Yanmar, pickup for the generator, and a return for both. Each of our 4 fuel tanks are plumbed to each manifold, two pickups with tubes to near the bottom of the tank and a return with no tube. The fill hose and vent hose to each tank is way off to the side, near the hull, and probably very difficult to replace or even see for that matter. JR

burtpreston

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 01:54:27 AM »
Actually, in response to Tim Glynn's comments, my Hylas 44 came with 3 threaded connections on the top of each tank. One was a fuel pickup which by way of the manifold Tim described feed both the engine and generator.  The second connection was a fuel return which came from the return manifold. The third connection was plugged. I removed the plug and added an elbow with pickup tube. Then with two pickups one could be dedicated to the engine and the other to the generator. This requires adding another fuel supply manifold so you have the original manifold feeding fuel from the tanks to say the generator and a new manifold feeding fuel from the other set of pickups to the Yanmar. The original fuel return manifold feeding fuel from the engines back to the tanks remains untouched.

This dual pickup is recommended and it allows two modifications which I have found helpful. First, the generator pickup was made longer so it almost touches the bottomm of the tank. This means when the generator is running it is pulling fuel from the very bottom of the tank; thus removing water and sediment. Better to plug a generator racor filter at anchor than the engine racor under way. Second I put a bulb squeeze pump (like the one on the outboard fuel line) between one of the tanks and the generator fuel supply manifold. This makes it easy to prime the generator and refill the enerator racor during filter changes. It does the same for the Yanmar if you put a cross over line between the generator and Yanmar fuel supply manifolds.

tbglynn

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 04:37:17 AM »
Iíll look whenI next check the boat which will probably be this weekend.  I would be shocked if Burt were mistaken, but my Hylas 44, #84, the one built after Burtís does not have two pickups in the tanks.  It has three tanks each with three hoses, vent, supply and return.  Despite the many happy hours Iíve spent mopping these out to get rid of moisture, I donít have clear picture of which connection is which.  What I do know is that there is one pickup with a stainless steel tube that extends not quite to the bottom of the tank in each tank.  That pickup is plumbed to a mainifold under the floorboards next to the nav station.  That manifold has a valve for each each tank supply and a corresponding one for return fuel for each tank.  The manifold then has valves for the supply and return, one each, for the engine and for the gen set.  So Iím not buying the idea of there being two pickups in the tank.  One has to be a return and, logically, the third has to be a vent line since it would be pretty much madness to introduce air directly into the fuel rather than at the top of the tank in the air space above the fuel.

Btw, we used to have a miserable time with fuel contamination while motorsailing on starboard tack when the vent lines were connected to the through hull vents ports side aft.  One of the fittings cracked in the port side aft lazarette so the vent line now vents into the lazarette.  Not elegant and sure not ABYC compliant,  but no more fuel contamination and no fuel or detectable fumes in the lazarette.  My assumption is that with the motor running suckling fuel down, the vent moves whatever itís sucking on down into the fuel tank.  If itís sucking water and spray, it sucks water and spray into the tank.   If itís sucking nice dry lazarette air, thatís what it sucks into the tank.  While there are scenarios when fuel fumes could move in the other direction and this would be very dangerous with gas, with  diesel not so much.

Tim Glynn
Sv egraine

burtpreston

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 01:25:30 AM »
On my Hylas 44, the fuel tanks have three connections on the top and a vent hose fitting and fill hose fitting on one end of the tank. Two of the top connections are fuel pick-ups for the engine and the generator and the third top connection is for the return fuel hose.

Burt Preston
H44-83. Exuberant

Dealatis

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 04:41:29 AM »
Iíll check on my Boat next week...Iíve had all three tank access plates off and the hose connections at the the tank were labeled...but I didnít really check to see if the vent hose was properly installed...I would think it would be attached to the tank hose fitting that did not have a stainless 3/4 tube going to the bottom of the tank!  Jack H49-035

800lance

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 09:23:06 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, Between the tubes is the dip stick probe and we have no Tender System

Ambition

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 08:48:06 PM »
Although we have a 46 I suspect that there may some similarities to your boat. The two additional SS tubes on our boat are 1. the dipstick for the tank and 2. is the small tube that receives the probe / tubing for our Tank Tender system from Hart.

Hope this might help.
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition 2002 46 #40

800lance

Fuel tank hoses
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:12:32 PM »
Shamaya our 2000 Hylas 49 #32 has 3 fuel tanks. Each has one with 3 hoses in the top of the tank, one for fuel to motor, one for fuel back from the motor and lastly a vent hose. When you take off the top cover you see 2 stainless 3/4 tubes going to the bottom of the tank and one hole in the top. My question is witch one is for the vent ? Right now the fuel return is coming from the hole in the top. Then that would mean one of the 3/4 tubes to the bottom of the tank must be a vent. Then how would it vent when tank has fuel in it ? I am looking for Hylas Forum wisdom before I change the hose configuration on the outside of the tank. Mind you it all seems to be working fine. OK, Now I am confused and need a beer. Any help

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below