Author Topic: Removing Hylas 46 Rudder  (Read 571 times)

peterlambmd

Re: Removing Hylas 46 Rudder
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »
Itís done! 

First of all I would like to thank everyone for the responses!!  I did receive a very helpful set of photos with text from Christian (Hylas Yachts).  Unfortunatly the photos did not mention one very key/critical factor....  The front two bolts seem to have been intentionally put in at an angle!  Basically this means that the head of the bolt is actually fighting itself when you try to unscrew it!  I have to believe that there was some sort of engineering reason this was done (clearly it represented more work for the factory).  It also appeared that the ends of the bolts were beaten down/flattened which also contributed to the difficulty removing.  Presumably they were flattened to get a smooth surface on the shoe.

Here is one photo of one of the last bolts coming out in front.  It is hard to see the angle it is at from the photo but literally one end was a full inch from the other end front to back!

I finally got someone with a lot more experience (Wayne at Brunswick Landing Marina).  I was well into removing/drilling out the threads on one of the bolts but we still had to dremmel fully around the inside of the bolt to get enough play in the threads of the bolt to get it to punch out. 

On the other one things were a bit easier Wayne used a combination of heat, again the dremmel on the inside of the shaft end of the bolt and an impact screw driver.  He ultimately had to dremmel the outside of the screw on the driver end because as it turned it was trying to drive into the brass shoe. 

It is hard for me to imagine how these two bolts were originally installed it must have taken quite a bit of pressure/tork

Here is the photo.

Again thanks for all the help!

Peter

joel

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 09:18:09 PM »
It is possible that you could drill into the screws and use a screw extractor to remove them.  Use high quality extractors.  If they break, you are in trouble!

Joel

dannye

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
Peter, after I removed the shoe, i welded/closed the 2 holes, just one side , re-installed the shoe without caulking-(3M 4000 )using the 3 good screws to hold it in place, I re-drilled the closed holes and retreated.
Danny

peterlambmd

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 01:30:25 AM »
Will do!  Thanks!  Just to clarify, you closed the holes and then redrilled/threaded new ones?  Presumably you must have done this while the shoe was on the skeg? Or did you close the holes and then just redrill/retread in the same spot?  Iím assuming the whole point is that the screws have to go thru the metal in the skeg.

Thanks!

dannye

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 01:22:03 AM »
Peter,
remember FIRST to use drill bits from small size up to almost the same size of the screw, on the treads side, use cobalt drill bits and drilling lubricant.
Good luck.
Danny

peterlambmd

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 01:16:05 AM »
Dannye,

Thank you VERY VERY much for replying so quickly!  Ok, I will purchase a punch (hopefully one hard enough for stainless screws) tomorrow morning and try drilling them out. 

Were the two you had problems with also the two opposing ones on the front of the shoe?

There must have been something that the factory did to screw up those two treads!

Just seems surprising since generally I am so impressed with almost everything else about the boat!

Peter

dannye

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 12:36:36 AM »
Hi Peter,
I removed the rudder on my 1996 46Ē Hylas last February, And you are correct, It is necessary to remove the 5 long screws, in my case I replaced 2 because same situation than yours, 2 didn't wanted to come out, I used a couple different sizes drill bits just to remove/destroy the treads and free the screw, punched out those 2 after. asked my welder to close the holes and made new treads on the shoe. for reinstallation.
Be careful, rudder is VERY HEAVY, incredible construction, very strong.
Hope it Helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Danny Escobar
ďGrand cru 2Ē

peterlambmd

Removing Hylas 46 Rudder
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 12:15:07 AM »
Hello,

It has been a while since I last posted.  Iíve read I believe all of the posts on this subject and still have some quick questions so Iím hoping someone with a H46 who has done this before can help!

Attached are photos of the shoe that Iím trying to remove.  The instructions from QL seem to indicate that I only need to remove 3 screws but the shoe actually has 5 of them.  Ordinarily I would have just removed all 5 but the last a 2 on the forward part of the shoe do not want to budge!  From what I can tell it looks like they may have been intentionally flattened on the thread end to keep them from coming out.  I had absoultly no problem removing the other 3 screws so that is why I was wondering whether it is necessary to remove them.  The thing is that I now have everything else removed (Qudrant, Upper bearing/emergency steering assembly) and the shoe just wonít come off so Iím beginning to think I will have to remove the last 2 screws.  I spent the better part of today working with these two screws.  I can get both of them to move roughly 1/10th of a rotation back and forth but no further.  Iíve used both heat and an impact screwdriver (the kind you hit with a hammer).

So far absolutely no success and iím quite frustrated!!

Any thoughts/suggestions or help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Warmly,

Peter Lamb

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below