Author Topic: Hatchboard Storage on H49  (Read 1204 times)

bobknapp

• Quintessa
Re: Hatchboard Storage on H49
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »
To help address questions I have received regarding the drop board storage, I have posed some pictures on Dropbox. See link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zz8hgpsg8e2a76t/AADU4NCspV_NJGQvR3OjVZ0ja?dl=0

bobknapp

• Quintessa
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 07:46:30 AM »
Storing the dropboard has been a challenge. For the first couple years we would place it on edge behind the aft head. It was secured by placing a piece of cushion foam between it and the porcelain. The downside was that it partially blocked access to the linen cabinet. 

We eventually found a much better spot in the forward head by reworking the seat. We cut approximately 2 1/2 inches off the hinge edge of the flip-up seat (one slat). We reattached a teak strip and refinished the seat so that it looked original. With the seat shorter, we added blocks (1 3/4") to the right and left edge of the stationary part plus a hinge strip (3/4") across the blocks.  This made up the difference in width of the shorter seat and did not change the position of the seat with the hinges reattached to the hinge strip.  The modification to the hinging of the seat created a slot for the dropboard. A couple teak cleats were affixed to the fiberglass at the bottom and the board is perfectly secure. Works great! Good out of the way storage for the "dropboard" and helps prevent the dreaded "dropped board"!  If you contact be by e-mail I can provide pictures of the modification.

Regards, Bob Knapp
s/v Quintessa (H49 #46)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:48:21 PM by bobknapp »

Weiss

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »
In relation to the “Hatchboard Storage” we had a pouch sewn in on top of the dodger where it just slides in. It is very safe, convenient and practical and as one removes the hatchboard it is only a question of lifting it up and put it in the pouch.

Gunter Weiss
S/V “Flirtation”
Hylas 49 #48

Finally

• s/v Finally H49-057
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 04:43:18 PM »
Thanks you all for the responses, appreciate the collective wisdom of the group.  With this we can do a walk around with our single piece wooden hatch and determine best fit.  No space under our Nav as best I can determine, but in the aft head there's certainly room.  Happy holidays all....

Greg & Missy
s/v Finally
H49-057

Mccannengineer

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 01:31:44 AM »
Our wood hatch is next to the water heater in the 3rd state room.
Our plexi glass hatch is at the nav station along the transgetial all on forward wall under nav station

mbenjamin

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
We store ours behind the aft head.  Fits snugly and doesn't move. 

Mike Benjamin
S/V Exodus
H 49-65

Mike Benjamin
Exodus  H49-65

joel

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 10:44:12 PM »
Ours is stored vertically in a slot under the nav table. (port facing nav table)
So that’s what that’s for!
Joel

Aria49

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »
Ours is stored vertically in a slot under the nav table. (port facing nav table)
Brian Stork
Aria  H49#30

johnspiegel

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »
Not sure if there's similar space on an 49, but our 46 came with a bracket just inside the engine compartment door. The hatchboard is flush up against the door when the compartment is closed. It's a pretty handy place right at the bottom of the companionway.

John Spiegel
Vesper, H46 #30

bp919

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 08:39:23 PM »
Finally ... on h49-50 LeCheile, I added a small bracket in the aft cabin (stbd) hanging locker for the hatch board - rests against the back wall of the locker, behind hanging foul weather gear... out of the way and (reasonably) easy to access...

BP

joel

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »
I generally put mine under the cushion for the settee.  Mine is plexi (guessing the original was wood?)

Finally

• s/v Finally H49-057
Hatchboard Storage on H49
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:01:35 PM »
Wondering if any H49 owners have a locations or set up to store the hatch board.  We have a 2007 with the nav station facing the port side.  Switches / space  under the nav table prohibit us from storing it there as I understand many of the H46 with a forward facing nav station can do.

Anyone have a location or set up they use versus just putting it in one of the cabins?

As always the wisdom of the group is appreciated.
Greg & Missy
s/v Finally
H49-057

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below