Author Topic: Location of Raymarine Fluxgate Compass on 02 Hylas 46?  (Read 1112 times)

Ambition

Re: Location of Raymarine Fluxgate Compass on 02 Hylas 46?
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 12:29:40 PM »
Curtis and Katie,
Even though our hull numbers are very close, if I am not mistaken, the entire electronics suite is installed once the  boats arrived in the USA. I know that our boat was commissioned (final assembly may be a better term) in Fort Lauderdale. The boats that were delivered to the west coats would have had that work done I believe in San Diego. I doubt that the same installation crews would cover both coasts so decisions could very well be dramatically different in the location and method of installation of these items.
Good luck!
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition 2002 H46 #40

curtandkt

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 05:54:34 AM »
Thanks Chris and Merrill,

With our hull numbers so close, sounds like the most likely areas. That's where I'll start the search when back on board (Aurora is spending the winter on the hard in Anacortes, WA USA).

Thanks Andy,

I'm planning on starting at the fluxgate then work my way through the through the entire nav/auto pilot system. Boat has been in colder water for over two years now. I was wondering if the additional condensation might have caused some corrosion on the connections. Not very definitive, but I wiggled the wires going into the main nav computer when I got a no data error on the auto pilot and the error went away. I plan to systematicly go through the whole system before heading north this summer into even colder water. Thanks again for the help. 

Curtius and Katie
S/V Aurora 02 Hylas 46 #41

stgermain45

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 06:15:43 PM »
We're 3 hull numbers from you, also '02, so here's another possibility. Ours is located in the fwd cabin stbd side under the aft-most hanging closet (across from pullman berth). Pulling up the floor of this hanging cabinet exposes the fluxgate mounted to the bulkhead separating fwd cabin and saloon.

Chris
Beleza, H46 #44

Ambition

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »
Curtis and Katie,
On board Ambition the fluxgate compass is installed in the 2nd (from the bow) lockers outboard above the pullman berth - forward cabin.

Cheers,
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46#40

Knoxan

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 11:44:35 AM »
Mine is located under the aft  bottom drawer in the forward cabin. It was not installed by Queen Long but by a Raymarine agent.
Incidentally, when I acquired my H46 which was pre owned there were several issues with the chartplotter and autopilot. I thought at first it was the fluxgate compass but after testing it proved ok. I then disconnected the gyro and most issues cleared up. Don't have one now. I then discovered the solenoid valve which engages the hydraulics on the autopilot was working intermittantly and replaced it. Finally due to seawater leaking through a stanchion fixing the navigation computer had corroded components and was replaced. Got there in the end and all has been working perfectly for several years now. Might invest in a new hydraulic pump just to be sure.

Andy
True Brew
H46#32

curtandkt

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 05:18:37 AM »
Thanks John,

Our Fluxgate is not in that location. I mounted our Wind Generator controller in that area. So still looking for other possible hiding spots. Thank you.

Curtis and Katie

johnspiegel

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 06:19:42 AM »
Ours is under the under the bottom panel of the centerline closet at the forward end of the aft cabin - in the same "compartment" as the two large seacocks for the cockpit drains.

John
Vesper, Hylas 46 #30

curtandkt

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 07:53:46 PM »
Thanks for the input so far. I was hoping for input from someone that has a Hylas 46 that knows where their fluxgate compass is mounted. I'm fairly certain that the nav electronics where installed at Queen Long. I was thinking that they might use the same mounting location on other 46s. I've been through the nooks, crannies and bowels of Aurora many times and do not recall seeing it. However, I could have easily missed it as I have never really been on the hunt for the fluxgate before. Thanks again for any help and have a super day.

Curtis and Katie
S/V Aurora-02 Hylas 46 #41

erikh

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 05:19:57 PM »
A fluxgate compass should be mounted on centerline of the boat but not near anything thats heavy metal (such as the engine). So it maybe in the aft cabin, or in the center of the salon. It could also be mounted in the bilge under a floorboard. There is no designated spot where it would be installed as that would be up to the individual electronics installer.

joel

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:32:23 PM »
On my 44 it was under the bottom of the closet in the aft cabin.
Joel

curtandkt

Location of Raymarine Fluxgate Compass on 02 Hylas 46?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:59:15 PM »
Hi All,

I'm looking for the location of the Raymarine Fluxgate Compass on my 02 Hylas 46 #41 Aurora. I'm having a few intermittent chart plotter/auto pilot issues and want to test the Compass. I'm presently home off the boat so can't start  searching. I hoping other owners might know the likely location of the little bugger to help with my search when back on board. I also figure there might be more than one possible mounting location due to the many different equipment options and configurations on a Hylas 46. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks and have a super day.

Curtis and Katie
S/V Aurora-02 Hylas 46 #41

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below