Open Discussion > Hylas Discussion

Hylas 49 intermediate stay furling system

(1/2) > >>

SeaGlub:
What we wound up doing was using the old hank sail with a luff pocket, inserted and secured in place a pretension-ed torsion line into said luff pocket, and then raise the whole thing with a spectra halyard.  After several months and both running and beating we've been very pleased with the performance and exuberant with the ease not just of deploying but mostly for the ease of retrieving, which can all be done now from the cockpit.  If for any reason I want to remove the staysail I can now drop the whole thing by simply releasing the halyard and wrap back and forth on deck, although to be honest, other than the occasional hammock, I haven't found a need to do this.   

Aria49:
Pat & Sandy,
I have recently been convinced to go with a furler on the staysail.  A slight loss of bulletproof hank on reliability, but when compared to deck work involved with reefing or lashing to deck in high winds, I think the net gain is in the roller stay sail favor.
Hope the Caribbean is treating you well! 

CabezonBD:
Thanks everyone, we settled in on a Furlex 304 system. It works very well. Had our stay Sail modified from Hank on to furling stay Sail. Works great!

snailor:
On Santosha (H-46#34) we replaced the traditional removable inner headstay "soft" furler system (Furlex CX25) with a torsion  stay integrated with the luff of the staysail.  We used the old lollypop terminal socket to deadend the 2:1 halyard. This required having a special fitting fabricated for this purpose. The staysail halyard loops through a swivel at the top of the torsion line, back through the regular staysail sheave and back down the mast to a clutch.  We tension the halyard/torsion luff with the mast winch.  We pretty much always leave this system in place and just take special care tacking our 135% genoa through it.  With practice, we're able to do this slowly without snags or burning the UV cover off the staysail with the genoa sheets.  Jibing makes this even easier but it takes longer to get back on course. However we don't tack all that much anyway.  To get the whole thing out of the way for frequent tacking you simply release the halyard and lower it to the deck.  Detaching the halyard allows you to take the head of the sail, loop it around back of the mast and in front of the dodger and back up the opposite side.  We lash it down with Velcro sail straps to the handrails and its mostly out of the way but still protected by its sun cover.  We had the whole thing made up for less than $4,000.

Hope this helps and good luck with whichever system you choose.

-Eric
S/V Santosha H-46

joel:
SeaGlub,
What brand/model of furler are you looking at?  Asym furlers use a torsion rope but I have not seen a jib furler with a flexible track. 
Just curious!
Joel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version