Author Topic: Hylas 49 intermediate stay furling system  (Read 1780 times)

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
Re: Hylas 49 intermediate stay furling system
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 03:54:00 PM »
What we wound up doing was using the old hank sail with a luff pocket, inserted and secured in place a pretension-ed torsion line into said luff pocket, and then raise the whole thing with a spectra halyard.  After several months and both running and beating we've been very pleased with the performance and exuberant with the ease not just of deploying but mostly for the ease of retrieving, which can all be done now from the cockpit.  If for any reason I want to remove the staysail I can now drop the whole thing by simply releasing the halyard and wrap back and forth on deck, although to be honest, other than the occasional hammock, I haven't found a need to do this.   
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

Aria49

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 07:10:21 PM »
Pat & Sandy,
I have recently been convinced to go with a furler on the staysail.  A slight loss of bulletproof hank on reliability, but when compared to deck work involved with reefing or lashing to deck in high winds, I think the net gain is in the roller stay sail favor.
Hope the Caribbean is treating you well! 
Brian Stork
Aria  H49#30

CabezonBD

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 03:16:12 PM »
Thanks everyone, we settled in on a Furlex 304 system. It works very well. Had our stay Sail modified from Hank on to furling stay Sail. Works great!

snailor

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 01:42:59 PM »
On Santosha (H-46#34) we replaced the traditional removable inner headstay "soft" furler system (Furlex CX25) with a torsion  stay integrated with the luff of the staysail.  We used the old lollypop terminal socket to deadend the 2:1 halyard. This required having a special fitting fabricated for this purpose. The staysail halyard loops through a swivel at the top of the torsion line, back through the regular staysail sheave and back down the mast to a clutch.  We tension the halyard/torsion luff with the mast winch.  We pretty much always leave this system in place and just take special care tacking our 135% genoa through it.  With practice, we're able to do this slowly without snags or burning the UV cover off the staysail with the genoa sheets.  Jibing makes this even easier but it takes longer to get back on course. However we don't tack all that much anyway.  To get the whole thing out of the way for frequent tacking you simply release the halyard and lower it to the deck.  Detaching the halyard allows you to take the head of the sail, loop it around back of the mast and in front of the dodger and back up the opposite side.  We lash it down with Velcro sail straps to the handrails and its mostly out of the way but still protected by its sun cover.  We had the whole thing made up for less than $4,000.

Hope this helps and good luck with whichever system you choose.

-Eric
S/V Santosha H-46

joel

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:52:47 PM »
SeaGlub,
What brand/model of furler are you looking at?  Asym furlers use a torsion rope but I have not seen a jib furler with a flexible track. 
Just curious!
Joel

NordicSunII

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
I have a hylas 44 hull #3 and I considering putting a roller furler on the inner stay.  I see S/V Penn Station another 44 has a roller and it is removable.  I think this would be a good arrangement to get it out of the way when not needed.  Here are a  of pictures that might help show this:

https://www.facebook.com/665590446859816/photos/a.665599413525586.1073741828.665590446859816/819818168103709/?type=3&theater

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 04:29:33 AM »
Hey Hope! We're changing from fixed stay and hank on right now to a furler. We have chosen a slightly different method and I'll let you know the results when we get a chance to test it out but what we're going with is a removable furler with a flexible luff track and replacing the stay with high strength stiff line versus traditional cable. The advantage being that we will be able to leave the staysail and furler together and lower the unit and coil on deck (as much as you can 'coil' a sail) which will allow us to get it out of the way for days where we may be tacking every 15 minutes as we did in SF. Call me for details.
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

bp919

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 09:57:49 PM »
Pat and Sandy ... I have H49-50 (LeCheile) and use a furler on my staysail... it's a Furlex 300 (400 on the Genoa) and I've been pleased with it... very good shorthanded rig when sailing offshore, over 25 knots we'll use staysail and 1 reef in main - and boat handles well, and is comfortable... I had similar issues with 130 Genoa ( not passing easily through slot when tacking), but when I recanvassed, I went with a 110 Genoa - no issues tacking now ( and I use a code zone for really light days)... one advice I'd give on the furlex 300 is make sure you have several wraps still on the furling drum when sail is completely furled. The 300 uses a composite material drum ( vs SS ON THE 400), and , when furling, you can place a heavy load on the drum if you reach the end of the furling line - and you can crack the composite - I've done this, can be repaired - but a pain.... never have the issue now if furling line wrapped correctly.

You'll like having a furling staysail when offshore, very easy to reduce sail and take strain off of boat and crew.... Also don't forget your running back stays while using staysail alone - especially in a heavy sea...

Good luck

BP

mjarzo

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:19:51 PM »
We have H49 #58 that came with the staysail on a Furlex furler. I am not sure which Furlex model it is (see photo attached). I can check on Sunday and let you know.

My general comment is to leave the pelican hook system with hank-on staysail right until you are ready to depart for long distance cruising. Around 30% of the time when I tack I need to go forward and manually pull the 130 genoa through the slot between the staysail roller and the forestay. The wind needs to be around 15 knots before it will generally blow-though on it's own without any help from me.

When it is windy (20+) and the genoa blows-though fast, the lazy sheet can "burn" the sunbrella fabric cover on the staysail unless I get a really clean and free release on the lazy sheet. The genoa blows-through a bit easier if I am using the staysail with the genoa, but still not wonderful and it won't do it in lighter air.

Currently sailing San Francisco Bay and local offshore so plenty of different wind conditions to try things. Planning to leave for Mexico around end of November.

Michael J, H49 #58 "Hylite"

CabezonBD

Hylas 49 intermediate stay furling system
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 01:25:16 AM »
Hello, we are a H49 with an intermediate stay connected to the dock via a large pelican hook. It's great if you do coastal cruising. Our future plans will be more ocean passages as we have signed up for World ARC 2019.  A furling intermediate stay sail system seems to make sense.

I think it's best that we convert that removable stay to a furling system. Looking for recommendations. We are leaning towards a Selden Furlex to match our head sail system (Furlex 400). A question to other H49 or H46 owners using an intermediate Furlex system. What size are you using? A 200 or 300 size?

Anyone else extreamly happy with any brand and or size of intermediate stay furling system?

Thanks
Pat and Sandy
H49 #53
sv Hope

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below