Author Topic: Move H54 traveller rope clutches outboard?  (Read 1141 times)

Daniel

Re: Move H54 traveller rope clutches outboard?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »
The factory set up of the block and tackle for the main is not ideal. All the Hylas I have seen have the main sheet exit the block and tackle and the bottom, go through a cheek block on the port side and then to the winch.

When you are on a upwind starboard tack and you are trying to power up the main by moving the traveler to starboard, aka closer to center line, you have to pull the traveler in the opposite direction then the main sheet going towards the cheek block. Impossible by hand.

On my H46, I switched the top and bottom block of the main sheet arrangement, replaced the cheek block with a stand-up block, so that the sheet lead exits the block and tackle from the top instead of the bottom. By doing this you eliminate the horizontal pull on the traveler car.

In the original design, if the load on the main sheet at the winch is say 500#, you will have to pull of 500# on the traveler towards port. You have to overcome that to move the car to starboard. With the "upside-down" arrangement there is no more horizontal force from the main sheet on the traveler car, so the only resistance you have to overcome is friction. After I made this change (and replaced the balls in the traveler car and replaced the small blocks the traveler sheets go through at the cockpit coming), I could move the traveler by hand going upwind.

Dave, since you already have a stand-up block instead of the typical sheet block, you could easily try the suggested change.

I hope this makes any sense. I don't have a picture of this set-up, but I can make a sketch if that helps.

Best

Daniel
Daniel & Caryn
Former owner H46-11

joel

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 06:09:27 PM »
Dave, 2 thoughts - You should not need a winch to move the traveller in normal conditions. might need to change the ball bearings on the traveller.  Harken will sell them to you if it is their traveller.  Otherwise, replace the car.
It looks like there is a block at the port end of the traveller that can be used for the mainsheet so it does not cross the hatch.  Don't know if that would help or not.
Joel
Atlantis
Hylas 44

mjarzo

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:54:09 PM »
We also have a Hylas 49 (2007 model) with a similar type of traveler and mainsheet block directly on the traveler and running direct to the winch. I removed the cam-locks from each end of the traveller and mounted them on top of the cockpit coaming with SS plates below (for reinforcing). I am doing some amateur single-handed racing so I needed to be able to get at the traveller adjustment easily from the wheel area.

Michael J, H49 Hylite

Here's a photo of one side with the cam-lock on the coaming

Dealatis

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 08:34:18 PM »
Dave, our H49 has Harken (Big Boat) traveler with clutches on the port and stbd end of the anodized traveler track.  A continuous line and 3:1 purchase is used to adjust the traveler.  Not easy to move when main sheet is loaded.  Not a great design but it works.  On our 49 we have limited options for the traveler geometry due to the Bimini frame location...

Dave Brennan

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
Sorry, here's a better photo. I don't know why the other one was truncated.

dsh

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 05:41:26 AM »
This is a problem that I've been struggling with as well along with mainsheet twist. Can't quite see from the picture attached exactly what is different to the normal rig, apart from running straight to the mainsheet winch over the aft cabin hatch. I've attached some pictures of an upgrade that has been sent to me from the US and I'm looking at heading down this route, but it does involve full replacement of existing gear. No idea whose Hylas 54 the pictures are from.

All best, DSH

Dave Brennan

Move H54 traveller rope clutches outboard?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:41:10 PM »
Our H54#38 has the main sheet traveller rope clutches on the cars of the traveller. The problem with this is we can't easily lead the car lines to a winch and even worse the lower mainsheet block often gets caught on the clutch plates and has bent them several times. In short, this is a horrible design that causes ongoing problems. I found the attached H54 block picture on Yachtworld so it seems it is possible to set this up with outboard clutches. I asked my rigger but he couldn't locate Lewmar parts to make this change. If you've made this change or have a boat rigged this way I'd really like to locate the parts to update it. I really don't want to remove the existing track due to the cost and time involved.

thanks!
Dave

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below