Author Topic: Asym tack line on a 44  (Read 679 times)

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
Re: Asym tack line on a 44
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
We run the line down the starboard side cabin to a clutch on the aft end of the jib car rail then the tack line goes through the same block (a double block) as the jib sheet and up to one of the cockpit winches. Once the tack line is set we can lock down the clutch and free up the winch.
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

joel

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 01:34:33 PM »
Seaglub,

Nice job!  Do you run the tack line along the cabin or toe rail?  What sort of cleat/winch do you use?

Joel

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 03:57:58 AM »
We had this welded to the anchor roller and then have an antal ring tied to this then run the tack line back to the cockpit. Has worked great for years

http://www.seaglub.com/2014/12/forward-head-sail-connection.html?m=0

C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

John H

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »
Will do, thank you!

joel

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »
Look at the HIN.   HYS44xxxAyyy

xxx is hull number A is month of build yyy is year

John H

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 08:02:33 PM »
Does anyone know how to determine the hull or buile number of a Hylas 44? 

bp919

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 12:03:03 PM »
Joel, Tim... agree, asym can be a real beast in anything over 12... not for short handed sailing.... in addition to recommendation below ( heading hard downwind in a gust or roundup conditions), I've found that when asym gets too much to handle, first depowering the main quickly helps to settle the boat - then you can deal with snuffing the chute... on a 49, the main is a powerful sail, active trimming is often overlooked, and you can use it to add or release pressure more than you think...

tbglynn

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 07:11:10 PM »
Joel,

Glad to be of help. I think your addition of the low friction ring adds the elegance my approach lacks.  I may add that.

You've also given the old person in me the opportunity to point out that when you are flying the chute and your apparent wind is 12 kts, it is blowing 20kts+.  It is time to get that thing down unless you are an all out racer with sufficient crew to manage it.  The pressures get exotic pretty fast.  Also, when your chute gets overpowered, don't get tempted to round up.  That will produce the death roll.  Steer down, follow the chute and way ease or release the tack line.  This will produce a lot of flapping and noise, but it will depower the sail and take the strain off the rig  Then douse the chute. 

Tim Glynn
s/v Egraine  H-44/45.5 #84

joel

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 06:43:14 PM »
Tim,

Your solution is much simpler than mine and keeps someone off the rail - an issue on port tack.  A low friction ring attached to the starboard bow cleat such as the one BP uses would give me a consistent angle to the winch, and can be high enough so the line does not chafe the handrail.  You guys saved me a lot of work!  Thanks!

We rarely fly out chute in over 10 knots of wind.  Its too big (1000 sq feet) and makes driving a chore.  The number 2 does just fine over 12 knots.

Joel

bp919

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:07:33 AM »
Joel ... on a 49, i use the tang between anchor rollers to soft shackle a block, then run the tack back along the deck (thru a fairlead ring softshackled to bow cleat, to a turning block at the base of the mast, then up to the port mast winch ... I've learned it's very important to cleat the tail of this line after the winch, because if it slips on the winch at all, it's a disaster - there's a tremendous load on that tack line .... We used this setup in Newport Bermuda race, and flew the asym in 20+ knots ... held up ok, but lines and connection points are very heavily loaded... Amsteel (Dyneema) line softshackles and loops are really good for this application...

BP
H49-50

tbglynn

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »
On Egraine we do sort of the slob version of what you describe.  We run the tack line under the SS restraining pin of the starboard anchor roller assembly and back to the one of the winches on the forward cabin top.  We use the ATN tacker to keep the tack close to the headstay.  It does run over the deck, but I haven't observed any chafe or marks on the deck.

Tim Glynn
s/v Egraine H44/45.5  H#84

joel

Asym tack line on a 44
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 04:35:20 PM »
Has anyone rigged a tack line for their asym?

I currently have a block on the anchor roller and bring the line back to the bow cleat.  I'm thinking of adding low friction rings and soft shackles to the aluminum toe rail, then bolting a clutch to the toe rail with a turning block aft of the clutch so I could put the line on a winch.

Thoughts?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below