Author Topic: Hydrovane on Hylas 49  (Read 418 times)

mjarzo

Re: Hydrovane on Hylas 49
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 12:26:40 AM »
Hi All,

I got the Hydrovane fitted to our Hylas 49 "Hylite" a couple of weeks ago. I put the control head, rudder, and vane on and tested everything at the dock, but have not tested it sailing yet. The vane does not hit at any angles or at any rotations but it is fairly close to the arch on one side when the vane is at maximum tilt angle on one course (misses by about 70mm or 3").

We are happy with the custom lower stainless steel mounting bracket. I had them angle the bracket slightly to bring the rudder post a bit closer to the center line to ensure good clearance for the vane. We have an arch on the rear with solar panels. The upper SS tubes cross the back of the transom onto each side. It still allows the swim ladder to unfold into the water and the rear lazarette (boot or trunk) can also fully open.

I wanted the upper cross tubes to have good triangulation for added strength. I worked with the guy that fabricated the stainless bracket (Caleb at KKMI). He was very careful with the geometry and did a nice job.

Here a few pictures of the bracket and mounting.

Michael, H49 "Hylite"

Manketti

• Manketti
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »
Yes we do have a Bimini and a full tent but as before we have yet to fully test it, we will put up an update as soon as we have, my assumption is that the wind will always be 30 deg or more from the bowes and that will be coming at the vane well aft of the tent.

We  have some friends who have a 46 with a hydrovane and they love it.  as for the notion of it being a backup for the electronic autopilot we intend using it all the time instead,  mainly because as it uses no power and makes no noise, it also has the advantage of being able to act as a replacement rudder if anything was to go wrong with the prime rudder.

stgermain45

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 07:33:44 PM »
Manketti & mjarzo - Please keep us updated on how well the Hydrovane works out for you, particularly with any disruptions (or not) from dodger/bimini, arch w/ solar, etc. I met some folks with a H46 in Thailand that had a Hydrovane on order, but I failed to follow up with them. I don't recall an arch on that boat though.

Chris
H46, #44

Dealatis

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
Do you have a dodger/bimini?  Is the air flow back there fairly I disturbed?  I'm not too familiar with these systems, but if it works seems like a great backup to electronic autopilot!

Dealatis H49-35

mjarzo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 02:13:28 PM »
Derek,

Looks good. We have H49 hull 58 and just purchased a Hydrovane. It should be shipping in the next couple of weeks. Will and John at HV mentioned your boat. Could I please email with you directly? My contact is mikejarzo(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks, Michael

Manketti

• Manketti
Hydrovane on Hylas 49
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:41:36 AM »
Hi all
Just a update on the fitting of a Hydrovane on our Hylas 49 please see pictures of finished fitting if any other 49 owners would like more information on the fitting please do not hesitate to make contact
Derek H49 #47

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below