Author Topic: Refrigeration compressor location on a 44?  (Read 4270 times)

Obsession

Re: Refrigeration compressor location on a 44?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 09:16:46 PM »
On our Hylas 44 the Grunert A/c Refrigeration USED to be under the galley sink.  The engine drive compressor was on the starboard side in the engine room.  I say used because I have removed all of that including the holdover plates and installed the Figaboart Keel cooler for the main refer and the Frigiboart air cooled system for the secondary box and backup.  Unless we are cruising we only use one box. 

Having removed all the Grunert system which was alway a problem waiting to happen and very unreliable I had to add ballast to the starbord side to compensate for the unusually heavy holding plates and A/c and D/c compressors. 

Before you spend a lot of money getting the Grunert system up to speed I would look at the Frigiboat conversion. 8)

Jim Halter
Obsession
Hylas 44/45.5  128

tbglynn

Re: Refrigeration compressor location on a 44?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 08:22:12 PM »
On Egraine, our refrigeration compressor for the 110 refrig is under the aft end of the starboard berth.  The space at the forward end of the galley is for a wastebasket. I have a nice one that slides out.  I stole the design from Island Packet. We also have engine driven Grunert refrigeration.  The aft air conditioners is under the aft head vanity.  The forward a/c is under the forward berth. 

joel

Refrigeration compressor location on a 44?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 08:14:46 PM »
I have one compressor for one of the 2 boxes.  It is located in the forward lower cabinet in the galley that looks like it is for a wastebasket.  There is zero ventilation.  I'm thinking that even the engine room would be better.

Where are your compressors?

Joel

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below