Author Topic: Hylas 70 Review  (Read 3505 times)

HYOA

• Administrator
Hylas 70 Review
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:51:08 PM »
I’ve been visiting Dick Jachney of Hylas Yachts at boatshows now for over a decade.  I frequently drag friends down the dock to see his boats and should I come into some unexpected cash, I’ll be placing an order for the baby of the Hylas family, the H46, even before the check clears.  At a recent show, I had the good fortune to find Dick on his latest introduction, the grand dame of the line, the Hylas 70.

The German Frers designed H70 is built at the Queen Long shipyard in Taiwan and sports a twin wheel deck design and a four cabin/four head interior.  She’s the quintessential bluewater cruiser with a tall rig and a sleek profile but she’s somewhat of a speed demon too as she averaged 12 knots on a recent Caribbean delivery.

The hull and deck are made of the Dutch material Twaron, an aramid/carbon fiber material that is touted to be lighter than traditional fiberglass layup and up to 5 times stronger than steel.  The deck is cored with ¾” Balsa and the bottom has two coats of epoxy barrier.  The H70 is offered in both keel and centerboard versions and has a 60% skegged rudder for performance and protection.

Moving along the deck starting aft, there is an easily navigated 3-step transom that houses ample storage for a SCUBA compressor and tanks.  A watertight stern bulkhead runs across the large aft lazarettes and from the spacious aft deck, the walk-through to the steering and social cockpits is on the same level eliminating the need to step up or crawl over a coaming.  Steering is via twin Whitlock 40” wheels and the cockpit easily seats 10 around the folding teak table.

Teak decks are optional but the 32” high 1 ¼” diameter stanchions are standard and are higher than on most yachts of this size.  Forward, there is a divided anchor locker with a saltwater wash down, a step-down sail locker and a collision bulkhead.  A Lewmar V electric windlass, a Fisher Panda 12kW genset, an electric bow thruster and wind, depth and speed instruments are all standard.

The rig options offer Leisure Furl hydraulic in-boom furling or Selden hydraulic in-mast furling and the overall standard package is hydraulic with power assisted primary, mainsheet and cockpit winches.  And you’ll need that power as the sail plan includes 2,419 sq. ft. on a triple spreader rig with a Vectran mainsail and the standard 135% Dacron genoa.  A staysail adds flexibility in challenging conditions.

The interior has four private cabins and four heads but given that Hylas is a semi-custom builder, various options are available.  The master stateroom is aft with a large island berth, a luxurious head with separate stall shower on port and voluminous storage throughout.  Moving forward, on starboard is a two-bunk cabin and another head and separate stall shower.  This is ideal for professional crew or can be altered to make an office and extra storage.

Continuing on, a large and well laid-out nav station is to starboard and the galley is on port.  The galley offers a Force 10 stove and oven and Frigoboat refrigeration in a handy horizontal double drawer configuration which keeps food within reach without the machinations necessary to reach the bottom of a deep reefer.  The U-shape of the galley ensures there will be good bracing underway and the galley is directly connected to the social activity in the saloon making sure the cook is involved when entertaining.

The saloon is open and airy with an L-shaped settee to port, a large dinette table and a place for three chairs inboard of the table.  It will seat 6-8 for dinner.  On starboard is a straight settee with an optional cocktail table. All cabinetry is teak with a choice of solid or louvered cabinet doors and a teak and holly or bamboo sole.  The headliner is removable for access to deck hardware.
Ahead of the saloon on port is a Pullman cabin that can be configured with a workbench and across are two heads that share a shower stall.  Forward in the V-berth is another guest cabin with an island berth and fantastic storage.

Auxiliary power is provided by a 240 HP Yanmar which has good access from the walkthrough on starboard and from the front under the companionway steps.  Dual Racor fuel filters are standard as are 10 AGM batteries for a total of 1100 Ah.  A separate gensest battery and engine start battery are also included.  Tankage is enormous with 360 gallons of fresh water in 4 stainless steel tanks and 710 gallons of fuel, also in four stainless steel tanks.

The base price is $2,450,000 and options will add another $200,000.  Despite her size, the systems on the Hylas 70 make her manageable by a couple and there are about a half dozen of these hulls out taking happy sailors to distant anchorages.  Although I’ve been fantasizing about the Hyals 46 for years now, in case my unexpected cash windfall is significant, I may be entertaining thoughts of sailing off into the sunset with the H70, the new queen of the Hylas fleet.

Hylas 70 Specs

Length Overall    69’ 7”
Length of Waterline    61’ 7”
Beam      18’ 0”
Draft  Centerboard Up  8'   2"
Centerboard Down  11'  10"
Fin Keel   9’ 6”
Ballast Fin Keel    28,980 lbs
Displacement (Full)   84, 175 lbs
Ballast/Displacement   .39
Engine     Yanmar 240 HP
Water Capacity   360 gal
Fuel Capacity    710 gal
Sail Area (w/ 135% genoa)   2419 sq. ft.
Base Price    $2,450,000

http://www.talkofthedock.com/boat-reviews/new-design-sail/6-hylas-70/

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below