Author Topic: Replacing steering cables  (Read 537 times)

joel

Re: Replacing steering cables
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:22:41 PM »
I finally replaced the cables.  What a huge difference in how the boat steers!  Also, I saw how close I was to having a cable break!

It took two of us 8 hours to replace the cables and put new bearings in the pedestal.  We probably wasted an hour trying to get the wheel off the shaft.  Despite heat, lubricants and a hammer and block of wood, it is firmly affixed.

Removal took a long time, in part because of the amount of corrosion at the grease fittings.  Also, the screws for the binnacle housing required an impact wrench.  The hardest part of the install was cutting the new housing.  We burned a couple Sawzall blades before resorting to my table saw with a composite blade.  I would not recommend using a hacksaw!

Edson's parts all fit well. The cable was too long, but it beat it being too short!

While it was a DIY job, it took a lot of time and a well-stocked tool box to complete the job.

Joel

christy

Re: Replacing steering cables
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 05:54:45 PM »
Hi Joel,

Just completed changing all tha conduits and cables on Christy, all the parts available from Edson .. Only issue was the cable clamps were too small so go replacements locally and all good.

Certainly DIY job

Cheers

Tony
s/v Christy
Hylas 44 #56

joel

Replacing steering cables
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 05:10:44 PM »
My other project (besides rewiring the mast) is to replace the steering cables.  Edson recommends that it be done every 10 years.  I assume mine are 26 years old.

Has anyone done this on a 44?  Is it a DIY project?  Any tips?

Joel

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below