Author Topic: Selden Mainsail furler servicing  (Read 6304 times)

bluepearl

Re: Selden Mainsail furler servicing
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 02:30:59 PM »
I returned my unit to Selden for servicing after 4 years and it needed it. This is the same unit that Alora commented on two posts ago. This unit will now have been serviced twice since 2006.

steve herlong

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »
I have a H49 - 28 (Rise) and have the old style Selden furler mounted outside of the mast.  My unit was likely never sent back for reconditioning either, and I always noticed that furling was difficult.  I even bought a new mainsail but that didn't solve the problem.  Then on a seasonal trip to Bahamas the furler motor froze as I left Charleston Harbor so I was manually furling for 2 months.  So do have those units serviced!

Selden has a facility in my hometown of Charleston but they required that I go thru a local sailmaker or rigger as they would only work directly with a company.   It took two full months to have the unit rebuilt because I had an older style unit - was the reason they gave us.  Hard to believe but true.

It was rather difficult to reinstall the unit so there is likely a good reason they asked to work with a rigger and not with the boat owner directly.

Good luck!  Steve

Alora

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 06:34:03 PM »
we removed and sent unit to Selden for servicing about six years in.  Really needed it!

brian black

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »
since you haven't received any feedback, I'll offer up my 2 cents.  YRMV.  the in-mast furlers, electric and manual, seem to present maintenance challenges.  with the manual units, it is possible to pull out the drive unit and service it in a reasonable way.  you don't have to pull the mast, and some information was available from Selden.  I found very limited information available on the electric drives.  there seem to be many parts that are only available, and perhaps serviceable, from/by Selden.  but further, to service the rest of the in-mast bits, i.e. the foil, bearings, etc.,  I think it's necessary to pull the mast in order to work on 'em.  they seem to be pretty reliable, but I think a thorough check and service is a good idea, before you leave the first world. 

Hobiehobie

Selden Mainsail furler servicing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 11:30:31 AM »
The specs for the electric Selden Main furler on my H54 #50 (Genevieve) call for a factory reconditioning after 5 years of use.  Mine is at 9 years and has never been serviced.  This winter season, I intended to remove the furler motor and return it to Selden, but on looking at the mechanism and the complex junction box at the base of the mast, I had no idea how to proceed! so I let it be.  But it is nagging me. I need to do it to make sure we have a rock solid main furling motor.  Can anyone offer practical advice on how to get the mechanism disconnected and removed from the mast?  Or should I get a rigger/electrician to do it?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below