Author Topic: Hylas 44 Forward shower pump  (Read 4451 times)

linback

ISO13795 Welded Steel Marine Bollard
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 06:19:53 AM »
The ISO13795 welded steel bollard is a double bitt bollard according to the standard of ISO13795, suitable for installation on sea-going vessels to meet normal mooring and towing requirements. The posts of the bollards shall be constructed from steel tubes or formed from the plate. A low-friction surface coating is not recommended so as to increase the holding force of the mooring rope under figure-of-eight belay according to ISO standard.

NordicSunII

Re: Hylas 44 Forward shower pump
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how to avoid a check valve, but not have so much head pressure that pump can pump the water overboard when the hose is full of water.   I'm thinking a diaphragm pump should be able to overcome the head pressure.  How is your hoses and bilge pump routed.

joel

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 12:08:30 PM »
Maybe a check valve?  A loop means all the water is in the hose.

NordicSunII

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 07:28:22 PM »
Also wondering if out the transom holes could be placed on hull right under transom.  This way they will not leave a stain as nasty sump or bilge water goes overboard on the transom?  The transom and hull under the transom is out of water while sitting at dock.  But wonder if underway if the water might go back through those drain holes when the transom squats down.   I'm thinking this could be eliminated by routing the hose up to the deck and then down to the hull with a curve of the hose.  What are  your thoughts on this plumbing arrangement.

NordicSunII

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 06:28:43 PM »
Christy,
Just looked at your re-plumbing of the bilge, sump, and high capacity pumps going out the transom.   how do you keep all that water from running back into the bilge?  Check valve?  What is the model of bilge pump you are using?

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 03:14:05 PM »
For the non priming pump double check any filters in the line. They get old and clogged and the pump will run continuously trying to reach pressure. This happened to us and we didn't figure it out until after we bought and installed a new pump. Now I have a good back up :-)
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

YachtShah

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 06:56:52 AM »
The pump is not priming.  It requires much better seals to pump air than it does to pump water.

You can try opening a faucet (recommend the sink faucet.)

This means that the pump can more easily pump air up from the tank selection manifold, as there is an open outlet.

You could also try removing the outlet pipe from next to the pump (whilst it is runnning) and see if air rushes out, and eventually water spits in your face.  If it does, then you have primed the pump. 

A new pump is sometimes able to overcome this priming process, but I still open the sink faucet and run the pump after changing water tanks.

Good luck with the wife...
Andy Alford, Yacht SHAH, Hylas 44, Hull 65, 1989 - currently cruising Borneo, Philippines and Indonesia

NordicSunII

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 06:28:27 AM »
Ok, I'm kind of hijacking this pump post.  Maybe or not really.  My sink and shower all drain into a common sump that has a float switch and pump to drain the sump.  But my hijacking topic is "What problems with water tanks would cause the pressure water pump to not pressurize the fresh water pump enough to make it stop pumping.

Basically I have a belt drive pump water pump like the existing pictures in this post.   I've taken the pump off and tried it with a clean  bucket of fresh water as the water source..  I was able to get it to stop pump after the pump cycling when the water came from a bucket, but I was not able to get the pump to stop when it went through the accumulator.  '

What did I do wrong to make the pump not pressurize the system enough to stop the pump?  Or could the problem be my water lines?

Note: both water tanks are full,.

Could the pump be bad, even though it seems to work with a bucket of water.  Or is there a possibility my water line is clogged so my pump can never get my pressure up to a limit to stop the pump.

Also note my foot pump worked at when I first noticed a pump problem, then eventually stopped pumping water all together.  Keep in mind my boat sat unused for a number of years before I bought it.

Any help with resolving my water pump issues I much appreciated.  I'm thinking of buying a new pump just to rule out the pump, because an extra pump in my configuration would help provide me a backup.  Nothing worse than having 80 gallons for fresh water with no means to of pumping it out.  This situation sounds like a bad movie "How reconfiguring a Hylas 44 killed my wife.

christy

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 08:25:25 AM »

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the comments on the teak decks, i will post a few more photos on a new thread.  I am having a custom made sump tank fabricated to fit this space, i guess this is where hylas put the sump tank originally ?

Thanks

Tony
s/v Christy
Hylas 44 #56

joel

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 04:13:31 PM »
According to the plumbing plan furnished by another owner, the sump is under the galley sink.

Bilge pumps should discharge under the toe rail, not under the water.  I made that change on my C&C after I saw they had used cheap corrugated hose. 

Tony, new deck looks amazing!

YachtShah

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 11:35:47 AM »
It is lovely to see another H44 getting the love she deserves.  Mine has not seen the boatyard for a short while.  I work on her everyday but only one man makes a slow job!  I would love to see some other photos.  I have thousands and was considering a way to catalog and publish them - any technical ideas on file sharing???
Andy Alford, Yacht SHAH, Hylas 44, Hull 65, 1989 - currently cruising Borneo, Philippines and Indonesia

christy

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 10:16:42 AM »
Hi,

I have now run the Blige pump pipes through to the stern to discharge above the water line.  This is for the manual (38mm) and for the normal day-to-day pump (19mm) and the emergency high capacity pump (25mm), the three pipes are shown in the aft locker in the attached picture.

The through hull which previously had the shower and bilge connected now just serves the cockpit drain and the through hull which is just the other side of the bulkhead will serve the pump out from the sump tank which I will install.

Hope this helps

Tony

s/v Christy
Hylas 44 #56

YachtShah

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:57:43 AM »
I have hull 65, 1989 and the forward and aft shower pipes lead to separate pumps in the engine room.  Wires lead from a switch in the head to manually turn it on, and you can imagine that there is pipe leading for miles.  Not a good approach.  Also a little crazy that they put the pumps on a shelf about the engine - right above the turbo.  So, any leaks are straight onto the most sensitive part of the engine.  So I won't be sending photographs or diagrams of this arrangement!!

However, I also would be very interested in the "Queen Long" stock design for a bilge mounted catching box and automatic switch.  (Including air con drip pipe.)  I will definitely convert my current arrangement to this, and would also like to move the pump from the engine room to under the stairs.

Whilst on this topic.  I also have a "riser" being a single 1.5" thru hull with an anti-syphon valve and 3 pipes from 2 shower sump pumps and 1 diaphragm bilge pump.  This leads out the bottom of the boat, so the pumps have to work against the water pressure to pump out, and if one pump is driving the others tend to gurgle (even sometimes water spills backwards through the pumps)

I would like to remove this arrangement completely also and send the water out through the side of the boat.  Anyone been brave enough to do this?

Thanks to all H44 owners.

christy

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 07:16:06 AM »
Hi,

I am looking at installing a sump tank in Christy, (a hylas 44) as at the moment the water from the sinks and showers all go via separate through hulls and/or separate pumps.  Could someone be kind enough to send me some pictures or a sketch of where the sump tank is located on those 44's which have one as standard.

Thanks

Tony
s/v Christy
Hylas 44 #56

joel

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 08:53:53 PM »
Thanks!  Initially I did not consider the float switch, so I thought the pump was bad.  I'll add water and give it a try.

These systems are much more complicated than the ones on my C&C.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below