Author Topic: Refrigeration again  (Read 3671 times)

wurzner

Re: Refrigeration again
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 06:31:19 AM »
I have a seafrost 5000 that was relatively new when I purchased the boat.  It is extremely power hungry drawing 41 amps per hour, but run about 3 hours a day once the plates are cold.  So I figure it draws 120-150 amp hrs per day.  It does an excellent job, but this is neither an endorsement or critic...simply a data point if what I have.  The compressor in under our aft bunk and not too noisy.   Given the duty cycle, I could easily just use it during the day if it was an issue.   Good honest folks to deal with based on calls I have had with them.  Fridge systems are like bottom paint and anchors...lots of good options.  This is posted as such.  Cheers.

MattH

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 09:01:02 PM »
I replaced my original Grunert with two Technautics Blue Cool http://www.technauticsinc.com units. The two units went under the aft bunk right where the Grunert compressor used to be and I had the original cold plates flushed and re-used them so the installation was easy and relatively inexpensive. These units are air cooled. I replaced the "intermittent duty" engine blower exhaust fan which was burned out anyway with a continuous duty model that runs whenever either compressor is running to exhaust the area under the bunk to the stern through the existing duct. The units are extremely quiet and efficient and keep my freezer at -10 to -15 F and fridge at 33 - 36F. I had one of these on my previous boat and it was still working great when I sold her after six years of continuous 24/7 use. My friend with a Hylas 49 installed the same system but he doesn't have the duct to exhaust the hot air so he isn't as happy with his system due to heat build-up under the bunk.

MattH
S/V Matilda H46 - #46
Currently in Puerto Vallarta

Azores High

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 03:21:29 PM »
I have the original Frigoboat fridge and freezer with remote compressors and keel coolers on my 49 #62. The door seals have become distorted and leak causing the freezer to struggle to maintain temperature in the summer months. Has anyone succeeded in replacing these door seals? If so, any info on acquiring the seals and techniques to fit them would be appreciated.

All the best

Alistair
Azores High
Hylas 49 #62
Portugal 

MagicHour

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 05:27:28 AM »
I'm inspired by this thread dealing with the refrigeration system on a 49.  I've been thinking of replacing the Grunert on my 49/ #27 as well.   Can you share pictures with me of the Fridgoboat system?

Peter

Moonlight

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 03:13:54 AM »
Thanks for the help folks.  I was having trouble visualizing where the keel coolers were, so I contacted Queen Long and they sent back a series of photos of where they're putting the new Frigoboat equipment on a new 49.  Queen Long is amazingly responsive and helpful. 

I see where the keel coolers are, under the aft berth drawers.  I like the idea of the keel coolers; one less pump and strainer.  Also, I see, from the photos, where they are putting more seals around the refrigerator and freezer doors than we currently have.  I need to start looking for some seals for these doors. 

YachtShah

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 02:18:31 AM »
I bought Isotherm ASU though would not recommend this electronic device to a liveaboard.  I have taken out the voltage sensing circuitry and use a digital thermostat now.  I now how well the batteries are going and can alter the temperature based on what is in the fridge.

I love their thru-hull heat exchanger though.  No pump, nothing to service.  Really effective.  And it does work on the hard stand also, if you leave the plug out of the sink, as the air flows through.

If I were to do it all again, I would get a O-shaped condenser, so that I could put things like chicken in the centre.  I put a 12V fan in the fridge and plastic curtains on the lower half of the front of the door, but it is a 200 litre box, so very difficult to get a constant temperature.  I have the front opening door, which I would not change for the convenience. 
Andy Alford, Yacht SHAH, Hylas 44, Hull 65, 1989 - currently cruising Borneo, Philippines and Indonesia

burtpreston

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 05:02:16 AM »
I went with SeaFrost six years ago. Since all the 12 volt refrigeration systems use the same compressors the next big issues are the evaporator plates. I liked the SeaFrost evaporators because they use stainless steel on the exposed surface and they custom build the evaporator plates to your dimensions. Their customer service is excellent and another option is seawater cooling of the condenser.

Burt Preston - Exuberant H44 - 83

Norm

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 02:51:51 PM »
I installed a Frigoboat system on my 44 about 8 years ago and have been very happy with it. I don't know if the 49 has the same icebox shape, but the outer walls in mine did curve to follow the hull shape. Since food rarely gets stuffed up into the upper, outer part of the curve, in the freezer (where my only evaporator is located), I made a new wall of Starboard that was vertical, with just enough height to attach the evaporator plate to it with some room for air circulation above and below the plate, which has 1" stand-offs from the Starboard. Behind the new Starboard wall, I cut Styrofoam insulation to fill the space, and now have up to 16" of new insulation at the top, tapering to 0" at the bottom. By chance, this new insulation is mostly above the waterline, where it blocks some of the heat that comes in due to the dark blue hull color. The evaporator is the largest one I could fit in through the icebox opening, with two bends to make it into a U shape, and it now essentially lines 3 sides of the freezer. The refrigerator compartment also has a vertical Starboard wall outboard, although smaller than the freezer. It has insulation behind it as well, and two wire baskets screwed to it so I can put food in them. That compartment is cooled by a thermostatically controlled fan pulling cold air from the freezer, with return holes back into the freezer compartment. It works very well.
I installed the keel cooler just forward and to starboard of the prop shaft strut. I put it as deep as I could while still being able to just barely reach it from outside the boat without going underwater. It needs more frequent cleaning than the hull since it is warm and marine growth loves it. I put antifouling paint on it after discussions with Frigoboat even though I believe it says "Do not paint". That helps somewhat, but it still fouls quickly, which greatly reduces refrigeration efficiency.
I have photos and diagrams of the installation if you are interested.
Norm

BlackDiamond

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »
I have 49-057.    We have Frigoboat and are very happy with it.   I'd have to take pictures of the in-box setup with evaporators, but a couple of comments..

Our keel coolers are located on the starboard side,  just below a locker in the aft cabin where the compressors are located.   We have a locker with shelves and below the floor of the locker are both the refrig and freezer compressors.   The cooling lines and keel plates come out from there.

You might want to put a vapor remover/dryer in the line as one problem that can happen is vapor mixing with the coolant and then the system stops working because the vapor freezes and coolant cannot flow.    The cure for this is usually to turn everything off and let it thaw,  but why get the vapor to begin with?

Another item to work with is to make sure you have a good seal on the box.  We have both front and top-openings on our box.  If you don't have a good seal you will get moist air in the box and the evaporator will look like a 1950's Frigidaire with snow/frost all over it.   Take the time to check the seal on the boxes and maybe get some rubber tape in between things if needed.

If you do need help on the system, make sure you go to someone Frigoboat certifies for the system.  Lots of people will try to "help" you but end up doing harm.   For example,   some guys will try to find leaks by putting dye in the coolant.   This is a no-no according to the factory and can void your warranty.   Be careful.

Have you thought about just asking QL if there is anything unique about the 49 they had to deal with?   Mine are factory installed, but I don't see anything particularly daunting.   Just running the lines from the aft cabin behind the galley to the boxes.

Rick
Hylas 49-057
S/V Black Diamond
Portsmouth, RI

Former 49 owner

Moonlight

Refrigeration again
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:24:13 AM »
I understand that Hylas is putting Frigoboat into the new boat.  I figure that's a pretty good endorsement. 

I'm looking into the installation of Frigoboat refrigeration and freezer in our 49 (2000), this winter.  I'm trying to understand how the evaporator plates are installed since they're pretty long and the outer wall slopes with the hull shape.  If anyone can explain what shape they made them, I'd appreciate it. 

Also, where did you put the keel coolers. 

Jack
Moonlight
2000 49 #31

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below