Author Topic: Interested in Hylas 49...anything in particular to look for?  (Read 3584 times)

Hobiehobie

Re: Interested in Hylas 49...anything in particular to look for?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 06:59:29 PM »
Why.   Thanks Andrew for your detailed and knowledgable response.  Very useful.  

Andrew

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 05:26:08 AM »
Hi there,
Hylas Hull to deck joints are bonded, fully glassed, and through bolted  through the toe rail, and are not likely to leak.  Most deck hardware is through bolted and so can leak if the sealant hardens or is overstressed - and may need resealing over the years.  If a stanchion or chainplate leaks behind cupboards it may not be obvious until staining shows up on interior woodwork - and if not attended to there can be damage to interior finishes.  All the linings to access stanchion bolts etc are easily removable, and it pays to remove these panels every few years and have a look right through the boat - even the smallest leak will usually show up with stains on the leaking fastening, and it might be a good idea to get someone to run a hose directly on through deck fittings and fastenings while the linings are removed to check for leaks.  Hatches and windows should also be checked with a strong stream of water and sealing replaced for the slightest leaks. A Hylas is not more prone to leaks than other yachts.  Through bolted fittings, with removable access panels, is what you find on all quality yachts, and in the end sealant around the bolts can fail.   Some cheaper production boats fasten deck hardware with self tapping machine screws into aluminium plates buried in the fibreglass, which appear to be less likely to leak into the interior than through bolting - but  any leaks around fasteners will then corrode the aluminium,  possibly result in failure of the fastenings, and possibly saturate the deck core - and can be very difficult to repair.  A well maintained hylas can be kept leak free and in good condition indefinately - but, like all yachts,  maintenance is essential.  A lot of water stained woodwork (or even delaminated ply) on any boat is a sign of neglect and is difficult to repair well.
Andrew Eaglen
Hylas 51 "Hanne Danske".

CabezonBD

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »
Hi good luck in the search. Not sure of what to look out for, but when you find the right one be ready to pull the trigger and make an offer. Good ones seem to move pretty quick.

Hobiehobie

Interested in Hylas 49...anything in particular to look for?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 08:42:17 PM »
Hello Hylas Forum.  I am looking at a couple of sailing yachts and am very interested in  Hylas 49 or similar.  I have heard wonderful things about the 49 but also that Hylas', in general, are prone to leaks (deck hull joint?) and subsequent delamination of ply.  Can anyone confirm this or point out any other common probales and issues that I should be aware of as I am searching?   I will not necessarily be put off a Hylas, but just want to understand some of the watchouts!

I appreciate your experience and expertise!

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below