Author Topic: Dinghy  (Read 4815 times)

SiNi

Re: Dinghy
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »
The other potential option would be a jet rib. The Williams 325 has a dry weight of 320kg. Plus fuel would be just under 800 lbs. Not sure if this plus appropriate davits would be too much weight on the transom!

jgronning

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 01:40:18 AM »
I think you can probably get someone who weighs no more than +/- 200 lbs up with a 25...could be considered marginal.  I've been able to get a 180 pounder up on a 15, but it's not easy.  I find wake boards are much harder to pull someone out of the water on than skis.  Wind and chop factor into the equation and you'll also need someone in the bow to weigh it down. 

Jeff Gronning
H54#2 Sea Pearl 

Sent from my iPhone

Thomas0317

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 10:51:42 PM »

Drexel you could always eliminate the two person seat and console, that would take out a lot of weight.

Thomas0317

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 10:38:23 PM »

Hi Drexel, one thing I suppose could be done is to eliminate the power tilt on the engine, it adds a few pounds I think. There may be a lighter weight console now, now sure, but it surely is nice with a stainless steering wheel. The other think that could be done with my configuration would be to eliminate a fuel tank. That is about 30 lbs. each. I designed mine to have two fuel tanks with a toggle switch to switch between them. Really comes in handy in the Caribbean and Bahamas. One tank is forward in the bow locker and other fits nicely under the seat in the center. Even with all of my pieces the weight works. It has been has been awhile, so I don’t know the difference between mine and the aluminum. It is certainly hard to beat what Evinrude has done with these etec engines.     tom

SiNi

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 10:24:08 PM »
If possible we would like to carry a rib that can pull an adult wake boarder. Is 25HP marginal for that?

Relentless

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »
Tom,
We I to select the same setup, what modifications would AB and/or Evinrude need to make to their stock configuration to keep the weight down, etc?

Drexel A. Bradshaw, Esq.

drexel@bradshawassociates.com

Bradshaw & Associates, PC

One Sansome Street

Thirty-fourth Floor

San Francisco, CA 94104

Phone: (415) 433-4800

Facsimile: (415) 433-4841

www.bradshawassociates.com

IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this correspondence (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Mccannengineer

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »
I have considered davits - two challenges:  difficult to get the dingy up high enough so to walk under it and down the rear stairs; also, the dingy, if right side up, can be taken away by a single way on the pacific.  But for cruising calm, inland waters - would be great to have.

Andy 

Seehund

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 06:49:59 AM »
<div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><FONT color=black face=arial>Davits work best in the ocean when the dingy is upside down.</FONT></div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">I've had an AB - with fiberglass bottom - like it, but heavy.  lifted it on/off the bow with the spiniker halyard when out at sea - the Pacific.</div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">15 HP motor - HOnda was ok, but no parts in Mexico. and AB started to fall apart after 9 years of UV.</div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">So the new one again has a fiberglass bottom, and a 20 HP engine; runs too fast at high speed  - one quick turn and you go flying out into the water; and is proped to get to a plane with 4 people in the boat.  Also the new one deflects the waves spray forward and to the side.  The AB sent the waves onto the forward passengers!  This is another reason not to go with the AB.</div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">As for Fiberglass verses Aluminum - The inflatable pontoons are the weakess link - UV degradation.  So Get a cover and they should last.  I like the fiber glass, but the AL is attractive due to weight and it doesn't chip when you run up on a rock beach!</div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">But, 30 HP - wow, that will pull in the biggest marlin, plane with 8 in the boat!</div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Andy</div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">S/V RYA</div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">HYLAS 49/ #26</div>

Andy,

Reading this post I noticed you have a Hylas 49/ #26. This piqued my interest since I have a Hylas 49/#27 and I had been following these posts because I am considering adding davits to my boat.  Had you considered adding davits to your boat?  I would love to hear from anyone who has done this on a 49, researched what is available and perhaps see pictures of their set-up. 

Mccannengineer

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 04:45:05 AM »
Davits work best in the ocean when the dingy is upside down.

I've had an AB - with fiberglass bottom - like it, but heavy.  lifted it on/off the bow with the spiniker halyard when out at sea - the Pacific.
15 HP motor - HOnda was ok, but no parts in Mexico. and AB started to fall apart after 9 years of UV.

So the new one again has a fiberglass bottom, and a 20 HP engine; runs too fast at high speed  - one quick turn and you go flying out into the water; and is proped to get to a plane with 4 people in the boat.  Also the new one deflects the waves spray forward and to the side.  The AB sent the waves onto the forward passengers!  This is another reason not to go with the AB.

As for Fiberglass verses Aluminum - The inflatable pontoons are the weakess link - UV degradation.  So Get a cover and they should last.  I like the fiber glass, but the AL is attractive due to weight and it doesn't chip when you run up on a rock beach!

But, 30 HP - wow, that will pull in the biggest marlin, plane with 8 in the boat!

Andy
S/V RYA
HYLAS 49/ #26

Thomas0317

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 04:25:41 AM »

If you are looking for an alternative we have hylas 56/ 01, we worked with both the AB people and the Evinrude engineers to develop our solution, it is a AB 12 with center console and Evinrude 25. It is the Lightest weight wise and better performing than others in its class, we tested most of them. Out entire configuration is less than 500 lbs. all in, with fuel etc. 3 yrs. now works well with the davits currently have traveled north of 7000 miles dinghy on davits, including the Atlantic, Florida to Caribbean, Florida to Newport several times, gulf of Mexico etc.

Tom and Sandra Thomas

S/V Sunset Moon Hylas 56/01

St Petersburg Florida

SiNi

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »
I am interested to know what you consider to be the limit for tender size / weight on an H56? For instance, the AB Alumina 12 ALX is 3.66m compared to 3.5m for the 11 ALX but can take a 30HP engine. The combined weight would still be well within the capability of Simpson 300kg davits. So would this be ok?

dharma

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 07:04:27 PM »
Rentless,

We just commissioned our 56 hull #18. After several months of looking, comparing and agonizing over the selection we landed on an AB center console. We bought an AB model called Alumina 11 ABX. It is a center console with a Yamaha 25 hp outboard. Full wet weight is about 225 kg including fuel. It has an aluminun hull which saves a fair bit of weight versus the fiberglass hull. We have the S300 Simpson as well and so far it has worked out great. The lifting points are within a few inches and it sings up really well. If you want any more information or details of what we have done just let me know.

Doug Robinson
dharma

Ambition

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
I recently replaced a Carib RIB fiberglass dinghy with an AB Lammina - an aluminium skiff without centre console. The company also offers centre console models - the Alumina series. I was delighted with the choices to suspend my AB alu skiff as the dealer is able to install / weld in attachment points wherever they are required. The fact that the skiff is more expensive is greatly offset by a dramatic reduction in weight hanging on the stern. The lighter weight with the same outboard engine was also a benefit.

http://www.abinflatables.com/alumina-10-alx

Cheers,

Relentless

Dinghy
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:19:37 PM »
I am forced to replace my tender for my 56.  I have the Simpson S300 davits and would like a center console tender.  My last tender was a Mercury Amanzi and the design of that boat created dramatic difficulties affixing appropriate lifting points for the davits, which are 67" apart.  Please, your recommendations!

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below