Author Topic: Blue Pearl  (Read 3482 times)

Seehund

Re: Blue Pearl
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 01:45:21 AM »
I too would like to see the pictures of the anchor arrangement,  I would also love to see what the hockey puck modification looks like.

Aside from the anchor pins, which are a pain to engage or to pull out, we use a line safety line on each anchor that is simply snaphooked to the anchor shackle and that runs back to either bow cleat.  When its calm we often use only these safety lines after cleating the anchors tightly in their rollers.

Peter Woeste
S/V Magic Hour
H 49 #27

bluepearl

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 01:03:29 AM »
Thanks and yes, I'd love to see a picture of your bow arrangement.

Ruud Bosman
(IPad)

behang

• Sailing with Totem - a family's cruising adventures
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 12:36:45 AM »
We have a Stevens/Hylas 47 with a 35 Rocna. Since 2008, we have spent more than 800 nights at anchor, and we dragged exactly ONCE (in gravel, in Puerto Don  Juan, up inside Mexico's Sea of Cortez). It failed to bite... ONCE (in heavy eelgrass, in America Bay - not in America but Pittwater, north Sydney, Australia). I can't speak highly enough about it. Let me know if you'd like to see a pic of our setup on the bow.

Behan Gifford
SV TOTEM
blog: www.SailingTotem.com
Facebook: www.fb.com/SailingTotem

Sanderling

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 12:29:36 AM »
We also put a Rocna 40 on our 49 and am attempting to eliminate the pin wobble with two hockey pucks with pin sized holes drilled through them, will let you know if it works.
The ultimate Canadian fix !
George
Sanderling
H49 #42

George Vallance

from iPhone

Relentless

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 10:41:35 PM »
I also love my Rocna 40 and also bent a pin. QL sent me a larger diameter pin and the yard bored the roller and anchor and the new pin has been flawless, heavy weather be damned. 

Drexel Bradshaw

56-10 Relentless

sjohnson

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 10:34:23 PM »

Ruud:

I also put a Rocna 40 on our 2001 Hylas 54.  It has worked great.   To address your question on securing it, we drilled a new hole in the Rocna anchor to match up with the existing bow roller pin.  That has worked great.  The only minor issue was that a few months ago we were motoring into some pretty good seas and were taking a lot over the bow.  This wound up bending the pin.  Next time, we will wait for a better weather window!

Scott Johnson

L’ame Libre

bluepearl

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
Looks like my question didn't make it all the way through. Try again:

Have you found a good way to secure the anchor to the boat/anchor roller? I don't want to just rely

bluepearl

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Have you found a good way to secure the anchor to the boat/bow roller? I don't want to just rely

toadsville

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
We =replaced our anchor a few years ago with a Rocna 40, which is what Hylas =puts on the new boats.  Our boat is a 2000 =9254.  The Rocna =has worked great and we are very pleased with it.  We also replaced =the windlass with a Maxwell (don=92t know the model number offhand) that =is a beast and pulls the anchor up easily.  The only issue is that =the shank does not always line up properly to bring the anchor on board. = We recently discovered however that once the anchor is ready come =on board, but is still in the water, if we reverse the engine, the =anchor lines up perfectly to come on the roller.  Hope this is =helpful. s/v Sirius (Jae and Jeff Sherwood)
On Sep 20, =2014, at 9:48 PM, bluepearl  =wrote:

StaceyHoopes

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:16:08 PM »
We have had a Rocna for 4 years now and have used it in a variety of conditions from Seattle to Fiji (and everything in between).  We LOVE our Rocna and have sat out plenty of nasty nights at anchor in 30+ knots as we are always at anchor (ahhhh the cruising life).  I can highly recommend that Rocna anchors as being worth every penny.  

We have the 1995 Hylas 45.5, so not a 54 but just had to chime in...  ;)

Fair winds,

Stacey 
S/V Bella Vita

bluepearl

Blue Pearl
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:48:01 PM »
I need to replace my Lewmar Delta (88lbs) anchor and would like some input/recommendations. The Delta has worked well but is heavily rusted and I don't want to re-galvanize. Blue Pearl is a 2006 Hylas 54. I use 300ft of 3/8 G40 chain. Has anyone used a ROCNA or ULTRA ($$$) on the 54? I use a pin to secure the Delta. Any other arrangements that work well?

Thanks.

Ruud Bosman
(IPad)

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below