Author Topic: H46, solent stay?  (Read 2068 times)

SiNi

Re: H46, solent stay?
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:14:47 PM »
Kaian, message still not coming through!

Kaian

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 07:01:14 PM »
Hello Sini, trying to send this response again. Somehow, responses from "i cloud seem to be  cut off by the system after sending only few words. Here is the mail again:

Good point. However,  another extensi

Kaian

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:42:20 PM »
Good point. However,  another extensi

SiNi

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:03:21 AM »
This is an interesting conundrum! I cannot speak from experience but would imagine setting up an inner forestay and rigging a staysail could be a real pain unless you plan ahead of weather. When you really need it, it could be too rough to go up on the foredeck. A permanent cutter rig with inner stay however, seems to be the best of both worlds. Yes, you have to furl the genoa to tack, but the staysail is immediately available whenever you need it.

Kaian

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 05:55:20 PM »
We considered amping up the already supplied gear and using a staysail on our 46.  However, another 46 owner who had a fully rigged staysail told us
using it was often a headache ( i.e. whenever he tried to tack  without fully furling the staysail first ) and
 in the long run, the inconvenience brought him
to very rarely use the staysail. So far, we have not missed the option to use a staysail but, on the other hand, we avoid overtly aggressive weather  conscientiously .
Kaian

brian black

H46, solent stay?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
We're considering adding a solent stay to our Hylas 46. 

By this I'm thinking a second forestay, located about 16" aft of the factory one.  This would let us carry a large drifter jib on the original forestay, as well as having the working genoa on the new stay farther aft.  Both would have conventional roller furling, and we'd have to roll in the drifter to tack it. 

If anyone has done this before, how did it work out?

Thanks
Brian

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below