Author Topic: Rig/Mast replacement  (Read 2167 times)

CABARET

Re: Rig/Mast replacement
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 02:10:58 AM »
Anyone have a good email for Kyle?  I seem to have lost it from my mail file.

dsh

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 05:38:09 AM »
I've replied to Rich via PM. I did end up with a carbon mast from Axxon and it's worked out very well. In regard to Hobiehobie's message. I did sell my old mast on in the UK. It's a two spreader rig and it's not been installed as yet on the intended yacht, and I'm not sure it ever will. So it's lying in a yard in the Isle of Wight in the UK and the current owner could be approached.

Do think there are issues with the Selden two spreader rig for the Hylas 54 DS though. Soon after my hull number they switched to a three spreader rig. All best, David

Hobiehobie

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 03:33:51 AM »
We, Hylas 54 #50 from 2007, are in Nanny Cay Tortola and it seems our mast is kinked at the first spreader thanks to IRMA.  Unfortunately Selden do not make the same mast section any more so instead of just replacing the lower section ($12,000) we will need a whole new mast.  Will try to keep furlers and boom but we are thinking we are in for about $75,000 with new standing and running rigging, maybe more.  Will know more as time marches on.

Anyone know of a circa 2007 Selden mast section for sale?

CABARET

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 09:35:10 PM »
Hi David.  Have you learned anything on this subject?  Lost our mast at Virgin Gorda in Irma, and wondering how much a replacement will cost.

Rich/s/v Cabaret rbarno@concordcorp.com

dsh

Rig/Mast replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
Qing is a Hylas 54. She's hull number 18 (2001) and so a two spreader rig. Bought her in December 2013 and finally got to sail her over the last three weeks. Think she sails incredibly well, impressed by how well she points and the speed through the water.

However, as the standing rigging needs to be replaced and because of a number of other issues (mast pumping and failing furling motor), I'm looking at replacing the mast and boom. Probably going over the top, but looking at a carbon mast with a canoe/park avenue boom. I'm aware of the price difference, but think in the long term it will be worth it.

Has anybody else gone down this route? As an aside I've put the gennaker onto a top down furler which works very well. I'll put a separate post up about this with pictures.
Thanks David

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below