Author Topic: Tracking Fuel Consumption -- Sirius, 54, #10  (Read 2824 times)

toadsville

Re: Tracking Fuel Consumption -- Sirius, 54, #10
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »
I just want to thank everyone for adding all their wisdom about fuel consumption.  All the posts were helpful and I'm sure I'll be more knowledgeable in the future concerning how we burn fuel.  Nothing more here.  Just wanted to say thanks.  Jae

jegalatea@gmail.com

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »
Jae, do you have manufacturing drawings of the tanks?     If so, you can calculate the volume or gallons of fuel per inch drop.     On my tanks (Hylas 49) I have done this and it is pretty accurate.   Some of my tanks are have geometric shapes and then are tapered.   Calculating the volume for geometric shapes is straight forward even if you have to use squares and triangles for irregular shapes then add them up.   For the tapered portion, I calculated the volume per inch, and the total volume to that level for the top, middle and bottom of the taper.   Then depending the actual fuel level I do an estimate.   Even using this method, I am surprised at how accurate it is.  

Also, I gave up filling my tanks from the deck fills.   All of my tanks have fill fittings on the top of the tanks which are easily accessed from the salon.   I open  the salon hatches, make  sure there is no fuel in the hose nozzle,  have a rag handy to wipe the fuel hose off and carefully bring the hose into the salon for filling.      Using a  flashlight I can see into the tanks while filling  and I  fill my tanks up to about 3/4 inch from  the tank top with absolutely no spillage.     Even after 5 years in Mexico using this method, I have yet to spill any fuel in the salon.     Being careful bringing the hose in and out assures we leave no hose marks in the cockpit or the salon (a two person job).

If you do not have drawing of your tanks, Queen Lawn may/should have them.  

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim Johnson
S/V Galatea

Eirene

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 08:49:30 PM »
I apparently wasn't very clear. I was referring to the setup of The Tank Tender system. It uses it's own hoses, which are about the size of spaghettini. They are easy to run through the boat. I added ours when the boat was 5 years old. 

Depth is measured by the amount of air in this very fine tube. A plunger

toadsville

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »
Thanks Steve.  Unfortunately we are way past setup.  And we don't want to run out of fuel emptying the tank.  We also don't know how far up the intake tube is.  Even if we ran the tank fairly low, most fuel docks don't want you sitting there calibrating your tanks (we have 5).  We do measure ours in inches and I do track our consumption.  But's it's all just a guess.  We try never to run below 7".  I know that seems very conservative, but if the boat is healing, with irregular tanks, we don't want to take the chance of not having fuel to the engine.  Jae

Eirene

Tracking Fuel Consumption -- Sirius, 54
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »
We have used a "Tank Tender" for the past 9 years on our Hylas 46, Eirene, and it works very well. It only reports how many inches of fluid are in a tank so, for irregularly shaped tanks, you need to know the correlation between  depths and volume. You learn this at setup by emptying the tank completely and then filling it with known quantities of fluid. We used 5 gallon increments, noting the depth of fluid at 5 gallons, 10 gallons, 15 gallons and so forth. The device comes with labels on which you can record the depth and corresponding volume so you don't need to rely on your recollection. We put the labels right next to the device's display so we can tell at a glance the volume of fluid left in whatever tank we are measuring.  Our Tank Tender reads 6 tanks so we use it for fuel and water both.

Steve Anderson
Sent from my iPhone
On Aug 5, 2014, at 9:09, "toadsville" <listserv@hylasyachts.org> wrote:

Tracking Fuel Consumption -- Sirius, 54, #10Yikes, I answered from my mac and all these extra symbols showed up.  Won't do that again.  Here is what I wrote:

Thanks for your comments.  We run our engine at different speeds and in different conditions.  I thought that would vary significantly what we consume.  I have been keeping track of engine hours per tank and have relied on that as well as the indicator to estimate how much we should refill at the pump.  In this day and age, I just thought there would be a better system.  Jae

toadsville on August 05, 2014, 01:08:02 PMThanks =for your comments.  We run our engine at different speeds and in =different conditions.  I thought that would vary significantly what =we consume.  I have been keeping track of engine hours per tank and =have relied on that as well as the indicator to estimate how much we =should refill at the pump.  In this day and age, I just thought =there would be a better system. = Jae

On Aug 4, 2014, at 11:24 AM, =Berkeley East  =wrote:

Berkeley East on August 04, 2014, 03:24:43 PMOn Berkeley East (H54 #46) we have WEMA fuel gauges that provide some information on fuel remaining in each tank, but are not really accurate. 

What has worked best for us is a fuel log. We track engine/gen hours by fuel tank and then apply a consumption per hour factor to estimate fuel usage. When we fill up we match the estimated consumption to the actual fuel added to verify we put the proper amount of fuel in the tank and to refine our estimated consumption rates. Early on we ran each tank to empty to see if the capacity we got from QL matched our actual results. We found that one tank holds slightly more than the spec.

Not as good as tracking actual usage with an inline guage, but has worked well for us

Download Attachment(s):
http://hylasyachts.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=206;attach=140

toadsville on August 01, 2014, 12:31:29 PM We are still struggling with tracking our fuel consumption.  We have 5 tanks.  With the tanks being various shapes, we cannot say 1” on our readout = 5 gallons of fuel.  I noticed that our home delivery oil has a chart to track the fuel amounts by each inch.  I have attached a picture of the chart.  How does everyone here track their fuel?  Jae Sherwood

Download Attachment(s):
http://hylasyachts.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=206;attach=138  
========================================
Reply to This Email or View Original Topic:
http://hylasyachts.org/index.php?topic=206.new;topicseen#new

Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link:
http://hylasyachts.org/index.php?action=notify;topic=206.0

Regards,
The Hylas Yacht Owners Association Forum Team.

toadsville

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »
Yikes, I answered from my mac and all these extra symbols showed up.  Won't do that again.  Here is what I wrote:

Thanks for your comments.  We run our engine at different speeds and in different conditions.  I thought that would vary significantly what we consume.  I have been keeping track of engine hours per tank and have relied on that as well as the indicator to estimate how much we should refill at the pump.  In this day and age, I just thought there would be a better system.  Jae

toadsville

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 01:08:02 PM »
Thanks =for your comments.  We run our engine at different speeds and in =different conditions.  I thought that would vary significantly what =we consume.  I have been keeping track of engine hours per tank and =have relied on that as well as the indicator to estimate how much we =should refill at the pump.  In this day and age, I just thought =there would be a better system. = Jae

On Aug 4, 2014, at 11:24 AM, =Berkeley East  =wrote:

Berkeley East

• Berkeley East sailblog
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
On Berkeley East (H54 #46) we have WEMA fuel gauges that provide some information on fuel remaining in each tank, but are not really accurate. 

What has worked best for us is a fuel log. We track engine/gen hours by fuel tank and then apply a consumption per hour factor to estimate fuel usage. When we fill up we match the estimated consumption to the actual fuel added to verify we put the proper amount of fuel in the tank and to refine our estimated consumption rates. Early on we ran each tank to empty to see if the capacity we got from QL matched our actual results. We found that one tank holds slightly more than the spec.

Not as good as tracking actual usage with an inline guage, but has worked well for us

toadsville

Tracking Fuel Consumption -- Sirius, 54, #10
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
 We are still struggling with tracking our fuel consumption.  We have 5 tanks.  With the tanks being various shapes, we cannot say 1 on our readout = 5 gallons of fuel.  I noticed that our home delivery oil has a chart to track the fuel amounts by each inch.  I have attached a picture of the chart.  How does everyone here track their fuel?  Jae Sherwood

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below