Author Topic: Portlight Leaking Underway  (Read 964 times)

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
Re: Portlight Leaking Underway
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2024, 10:45:08 AM »
No idea, my drill has a ratchet setting option but not my driver.  I went by feel and careful observation.  Went just one or two clicks on the screw and stopped.

We have had several good long port tacks and have observed no leakage so far.  Still monitoring but i am pretty sure we got it.
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - 1997 Hylas 46 #13

Groggo

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2024, 04:28:24 AM »
Hey Nirvana,
Any idea what actual Torque you had when the rachet got to "firm"?  If not was there a number setting on your screw gun??

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2024, 04:05:40 AM »
Funny timing;  we have been having Strbd seepage last year.  Just today pulled the inside plate, then pulled the outside plate (glass and all) and found it had apparently been serviced before (we are second owners), there was a gap in sealant as well as a gap in core at the same spot, not rot, just structural.  Service work appears to have overtightened the screws and compressed alllll of the (looks like) 4200 out.  So most of the lower frame appears to have had little if any in some places sealant left between the original gell-coat and the outer frame.

From experience with my prior boat and working with others it is become best practice to make sure you have exceptional amounts of sealant around these and then  apply just sufficient torque without so much you leave no sealant to do its work around the flange.

I pumped two full tubes of 3M 4200 into the flange of my Stbd port light frame with very minimal waste yet got good torque on the nuts, just enough to make the ratchet of the screw gun to stop turning the screw, no more.

We followed a process of first snug each moving clockwise around the frame, then wipe squeezed out exces, then ratchet each gently, wipe then ratchet each firmly till screw stops turning, then clean. 

Crossing fingers for a dry year on this.

Good luck on your endeavor. 
Clear skies and smooth sailing
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 10:46:02 AM by Nirvana »
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - 1997 Hylas 46 #13

SV True North

• Hylas 54/42
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 08:28:01 PM »
Sorry for the missing step 3 - it is attached here

Groggo

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 02:12:36 PM »
Fandamntastic.  You guys are all due a beer on Thelxiepeia.  It looks like QL is very helpful, Christian answered with just removing the screws and frame from the outside, but thank you for telling me what sealant they use.  We'll try that first before we knock out the entire light.....
SVTN-It looks like Step 3 is missing, and that Step 4 has the picture for Step 3 on it.  I assume that Step 3 is removal of the outside SCREWS and frame, which is the picture for Step 4, and that Step 4 is removal of the bolts from the interior, but is showing the picture from Step 3?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 02:20:43 PM by Groggo »

rsk763

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 09:48:48 AM »
Sometimes just removing screws, injecting sealant in screw hole and then rescuing screw will fix a small leak and save you from a complete rebidding.

SV True North

• Hylas 54/42
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 05:25:23 AM »
The sealant used is Dow Corning 791.

SV True North

• Hylas 54/42
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 05:24:05 AM »
Queen Long sent me the procedue, see the attachments

joel

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 05:34:31 PM »
On my 49 I removed the outer ring, cleaned up everything and resealed using LifeSeal.  If it is a bad leak you need to remove the entre portlight by removing the interior screws, placing a block of wood against the metal on the outside and hitting it with a hammer to get it out.  Again, clean and reseal.

Joel 49#5

Groggo

Portlight Leaking Underway
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 11:20:41 PM »
Hello All,
Discovered a bit of water ingressing from the starboard salon portlight on my 56(#27).  Happens underway only, not sitting in rain.
I suspect the light needs to be resealed (or we could just sail on a starboard tack for the next 30 years...... ::)).
Anyone here have a recommended procedure for resealing/reinstalling these portlights???

Many Thanks,

Groggo
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 11:24:04 PM by Groggo »

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below