Author Topic: Northern Lights Generator AC connections  (Read 589 times)

Kevin

Re: Northern Lights Generator AC connections
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2022, 12:55:58 PM »
Sorry for the delay, but have been offshore.

The ELCI trips immediately, not the AC panel breakers.  There is no load on the AC system.  The inverter is off, but as I found out, the inverter is never really off since it is connected to the 12v system.

The inverter loads are separate from the shore power loads.  There is a double pole switch on the AC panel that switches both the hot and neutral when switching from shore power to generator.  I expect that all H46s have similar 12v and AC panels at the nav station.

Still tracing wires to find out how everything is actually wired.  My mistake was not checking how the old generator was wired before it was removed.

Thanks for the input.  I will post once I figure out the solution.

voodoo

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2022, 10:28:25 AM »
Does the breaker trip or does the ELCI trip? Are you connected to shore power? If you are on shore power and turn on the inverter you need to make sure there are separate neutral buses for the inv loads and the shore power loads. For gen and shore power, the separation is achieved by switching the neutral wire in the rotary selector switch. Are you switching the neutral?

The problem with the neutrals is that they need to be tied to ground once and only once, at the source. For shore power this is on the dock and for your inverter it's at the ground switch. For the gen, the neutral is switched. If all of your neutrals are tied together, current will flow to the wrong ground path and eventually back to the source via the water. This will trip your ELCI.

If the over current breaker is tripping then you have the live shorted to neutral or ground.

stgermain45

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 04:53:39 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Are the inverter neutral wires from the inverter (outlets, galley, microwave) on a separate bus on the panel from your other loads (water heater, A/C, etc)? (i.e. are the white cables ALL connected together at the panel with jumpers or are the 3 inverter loads separate?)

Chris

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 12:04:34 PM »
I have attached a diagram of the AC system on the boat.  The only addition from the original wiring was an inverter/charger, which has since been replaced.  The new unit is a Xantrex Freedom Sine Wave Inverter/Charger 815-2012. 

What I did not do is see how the original generator was wired.

The new one is wired according to ABYC and Nigel Caldor, but trips the breaker as soon and the AC Selector Switch is flippe to power the AC from the generator. 

I am in the process of tracing wires to see how the grounds and neutrals are actually run.

Thanks,
Kevin

800lance

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 02:40:51 PM »
Kevin
I have been on both Matt

MattH

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 01:35:07 PM »
Hi Kevin. I am an electrician and I have a NL generator on my Hylas 46. If you could post a sketch a diagram of your system I may be able to identify your problem.

stgermain45

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 05:38:47 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Yes, we have a Victron isolation transformer as well as a buck-boost transformer, but they only come into play while on shore power. On our boat, genset L1 and neutral hit a 50A ELCI then to Genset/Shore switch. Ground from genset straight to ground bus. The other side of the switch is where our isolation transformer lives.

Chris

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 11:34:14 PM »
Chris,

Thanks!  One question.  Do you have an isolation transformer?  From what I have read that will impact the ground configuration on the boat.

Regards,
Kevin

stgermain45

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 05:31:50 PM »
Hi Kevin,

I think I wrote that reply before my 2nd cup of coffee! That setting initially fixed our breaker tripping issue, but I should have mentioned it was really a bandaid and not a fix. I don't recall whether inverter was set to on or off, but I now have the inverter "ground relay" set back ON in the settings anyway since eventually isolating a wiring issue.

I've made a bunch of changes to our AC distribution since installing the NL genset, and the real problem was finding and correcting a neutral wire from the inverter connected to the wrong BUS. I'd triple check your wiring first to ensure all is good there - in particular, put a spotlight on how your inverter is wired, especially neutral and ground connections. There's a  good chance installations like gensets and inverters were not installed by Queen Long, so there is undoubtedly some wiring variation between owners.

Chris
S/V Beleza - H46 #44

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 01:25:01 AM »
Chris,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  One question.  Can you provide more details on the inverter problem?  Was yours turned off when this happened?

I have a charger/inverter, but it was turned.

Regards,
Kevin

stgermain45

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 05:29:37 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Attached is a pic of ours. U1 is jumpered to U2, V1 is jumpered to V2 and yellow cable switched over to 120V, per the same wiring diagram you posted. Of possible note, I initially had the same issue of the breaker tripping immediately. It was solved by toggling off a ground relay in the settings of our inverter (Victron Multiplus 3kVA). Maybe something to look into.

Both ABYC and Northern Lights recommend grounding the neutral at the genset in the interest of safety from a shock hazard. On the other hand, doing so can increase electrolytic corrosion. We decided to stay within ABYC compliance, but ultimately it's your choice.

You're gonna love the NL genset once you get it up and running!

Chris
S/V Beleza - H46 #44

Kevin

Northern Lights Generator AC connections
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 01:18:26 PM »
I recently had the original generator replaced with a Northern Lights on a Hylas 46.  However, there is confusion on how to properly connect the AC side to the AC panel.

Northern Lights has the attached diagram in the installation manual.  The generator is putting out 120v, but as soon as you flip the switch on the AC panel from Off to Generator, the breaker trips.

Can anyone with a Northern Lights generator assist with how the neutral (white) and ground (green) wires are attached at the V1 and V2 terminals.  And if your V1 and V2 terminals have a jumper connection.

Thanks,
Kevin

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below