Author Topic: H54 Crack in rudder gelcoat. Surface or Serious?  (Read 266 times)

joel

Re: H54 Crack in rudder gelcoat. Surface or Serious?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 09:46:21 PM »
Great news!

Hobiehobie

Re: H54 Crack in rudder gelcoat. Surface or Serious?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 06:34:45 PM »
Problem solved...I heard fro Hylas.  Apparently this crack is actually the joint between the rudder spacer and the rudder itself.  This spacer has no structural purpose

Hobiehobie

H54 Crack in rudder gelcoat. Surface or Serious?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 04:45:31 PM »
Hello Hylas Friends

Five months back in the Caribbean I noticed a small crack in the surface layers of the rudder of Genevieve (H54 #50 2006/7) as shown in the photo below.  It is on the Starboard side and there is a very small, short crack in the paint on the corresponding port side.  In the last few months despite some vigorous long passages the cracks have not changed.

Regarding the photo, the rather large gouge towards the top is I think were we had the gelcoat ground out in 2016 when we noticed a hairline crack in the same place.  It was ground out and filled and the yard reported that it was just a surface crack. I think the large gouge is where the yard ground out the gel coat and it has dropped out.

We do not have plans to haul Genevieve for another 6 months.  But I wanted to check to see if any of you have seen this before?  Is it serious? Does it require immediate attention?

From what I know of the rudder construction, this is not a load bearing part, as the bottom of the rudder post terminates above this area in the bronze bearing foot shown in the top right part of the photograph.

Your thoughts and advise would be much appreciated.

I have sent a request to Hylas to see what they say, but wanted to see if anyone here has experienced and remedied anything similar.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below