Author Topic: Looking at the Hylas 44. How do you determine the chain plates are OK?  (Read 152 times)

joel

Re: Looking at the Hylas 44. How do you determine the chain plates are OK?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 05:29:09 PM »
I would not expect to see water weeping.  If the keel bolts are tight the seam should be nearly invisible.  It will take a large socket set and breaker bar to tighten them. 

I would not want to have to drop the keel and inspect the bolts unless that was factored into the price. 

Yes, the 44 is incredibly strong and stable.  (John Krestchmer sailed mine through Hurricane Bob when new.) 

Good luck!

BillJ

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 05:00:14 PM »
I am very interested in the Hylas 44. I think my main concern about the boat is the chain plates and how they are constructed. All my boats have had chain plates I could remove, inspect and bed. How do you determine that a Hylas 44 has sound chain plates? Something as old as say a 1989 or 1990 boat. Here you have a boat 30 or more years old. What do owners do regarding these?

Thanks.
Thank you. So there is some way to get a feel for their condition? That is good to know.

I was looking at the post down this page regarding the keel bolts. Is that seam between the lead keel and hull suppose to weep water like that? Would you normally see the seem at all?
I guess I am picking the boat apart in concern to what might be expensive repairs. These boats look fantastic and from what I read built like a tank.
Anyone having trouble with the keel, keel boats, keel joint? Sitting on the hard can you see the seam between the keel and hull and is that normal?

There is a Hylas 44 in Florida for sale. It looks like maybe it has not seen the best of care, but always hard to tell just looking at pictures.

joel

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 04:52:19 PM »
Bill

I own hull 66.
The chainplates are part of a structural grid, not simply bolted to the boat.  My surveyor was not at all concerned about examining them.

Joel
Atlantis

BillJ

Looking at the Hylas 44. How do you determine the chain plates are OK?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 04:48:08 PM »
I am very interested in the Hylas 44. I think my main concern about the boat is the chain plates and how they are constructed. All my boats have had chain plates I could remove, inspect and bed. How do you determine that a Hylas 44 has sound chain plates? Something as old as say a 1989 or 1990 boat. Here you have a boat 30 or more years old. What do owners do regarding these?

Thanks.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below