Author Topic: Interior varnish touch-up  (Read 264 times)

joel

Re: Interior varnish touch-up
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 02:31:48 PM »
Merrill,

Thanks!

On darker wood the Epiphanes RapidCoat is slightly tined and works well for me.  The RapidClear works well on lighter wood as does their regular varnish.  YMMV.

Joel

Ambition

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 01:10:58 PM »
Joel, This is the email I received from the factory for our boat. PLEASE NOTE DO NOT ASSUME THAT YOUR BOAT WAS FINISHED WITH THE SAME GLOSS VALUES
The varnish we used inside is brand "waltz" PolyurethanePaint made in Japan. Please see the details as below. Since there is not any distribution in the US you can use other brands of Polyurethane Varnish from your marine stores instead.
- Cabin Sole - Polyurethane Paint (one-liquid humidity cure type) with Gloss Finish
- Salon table and companionway ladder- Polyurethane Paint (Liquid A and liquid B type) with Gloss Finish
- Interior Cabinetry and handrails - Polyurethane Paint (Liquid A and liquid B type) with 30% Gloss Finish -use flattening agent

I hope this helps,
Merrill
S/V Ambition H46#40

joel

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 07:51:53 PM »
Merrill, your response got cut off.  Please re-post.

joel

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 07:40:52 PM »
Merrill,

What brand is used at the factory?

Joel

Ambition

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 11:02:13 PM »
For Ambition I contacted the factory and they provided me with the exact gloss % for all the different surfaces. The trick is to add a flattening agent to a 100% gloss to match what was applied to your hull number.

Merrill
S/V Ambition H46 #40

cspath

Interior varnish touch-up
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 10:03:33 PM »
I need to do some varnish repair throughout my 2005 Hylas 49 and am wondering if anyone has found a good matching varnish (gloss and satin) and process to touch up the interior woodwork. Some of  the woodwork such as fiddles, companionway and casings of the hatches appear to have glossy finish, while other areas such as cabinetry, trim, the insect screen frames etc. are satin finish. Does anyone have recommendations for matching varnish and other advise.
thanks,
Christoph
SV/Delfina H49/49

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below