Author Topic: Traveler cleats - location  (Read 146 times)

joel

Re: Traveler cleats - location
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 08:41:21 PM »
Norm
Thanks. I have 4:1 main and cam cleat for the sheet and switch to the winch too.

Norm

Re: Traveler cleats - location
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 12:28:12 PM »
I couldn't find the post that this was referring to, but on Blue Moon when I had Garhauer build a traveler for me, I sent them a diagram of how I wanted the cleats at the ends of the traveler to be positioned (pointed towards the helm seat and going up at an angle). Garhauer cut and bent SS plates to those specs (no extra charge, BTW) and mounted the cleats on them.  They work quite well, although above about 20 kts apparent, I have to use both hands to pull the traveler to windward.  I also have Garhauer 6:1 mainsheet blocks with a cam cleat so I don't have to adjust the mainsheet when adjusting the traveler, as I did when using the mainsheet self-tailing winch. If the wind is over 20-25 kts I still need to use the winch for mainsheet adjustment, but since the line is led through the cam cleat, after adjustment I can take it off the winch again.
Norm H44-29

joel

Traveler cleats - location
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 04:25:24 PM »
Atlantis has the standard traveler with a 4:1 purchase and the cleats for the lines on the ends of the traveler.
I thought about moving the cleats forward to the coaming behind the helm seat, but that doesn't really improve the situation.

Has anyone come up with a better solution? 
Joel
44#66

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below