Author Topic: AIS Installation  (Read 830 times)

Sailsteady

Re: AIS Installation
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 11:22:35 AM »
Jack, the unit is mounted on the inside space at the chart table requiring me to remove one panel to accres it for occasional updates which requires a wire to the laptop.  I went with the Vesper splitter which was the only splitter I could find that actually improved the signal strength vice degrading it.  All 3 radios plug into the splitter (VHF, AIS, and FM) and then share a common masthead antenna.  It works beautifully and I bet very good reception and distance on all 3.  Lastly, the separate GPS pick for the Vesper is also mounted inside the dead space at the chart table and directly underneath the deck.  Contrary to popular belief it receives a great signal there and very quickly. This is actually how Oyster mounts their GPS pucks as well direct from the factory.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Dan
SV Nepenthe

Dealatis

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 05:27:59 AM »
Dan,

Where did you install the vesper 8000 (blue box) and did you mount an external antenna for the unit?

Thanks

Jack Kennedy
H49-035

Sailsteady

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 09:56:56 AM »
Love my Vesper 8000 unit, especially because it gives me essentially a backup multifunction display when I pair it with my iPad.  Since the Vesper has its own GPS unit, my Raymarine Axiom MFD could go out and I still have a full back up with electronic charting on the iPad.  Lots of good uses for the unit.

Dan
SV Nepenthe

burtpreston

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 02:44:53 PM »
We went with the original Casper Marine unit and after nine years are still very happy with it. The best feature, which may now be available on competing units, is the ability to set up four scenarios (offshore, coastal, harbor, and one other) and set up different filters in each (boat speed, CPA, time to CPA, etc) so that you can controll the clutter on the screen. Offshore you want to see everything but entering a harbor you need to remove irrelevant information, such as all boats moving less than say 0.3 knots. This is becoming more important as more and more objects are showing up.

One option that would be handy is the ability to block out the navigation buoys that have been assigned virtual AIS signals. When entering a big harbor it is a nuisance to have every navigation bouy showing up on your screen.

Also, Casper has provided me with excellent customer service, even replacing the faded sun cover after many years for free.

Burt Preston
Exuberant H44-83

tday01

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 01:21:31 PM »
I am a big fan of the XB-8000. I installed one on my last two boats. It integrated well with my Raymarine electronics and also provided wi-fi multiplexor capabilities (i.e. I could read all my instruments on an iPad passed through by the XB-8000.

joel

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 04:25:12 PM »
I added a splitter and Sitek unit because I wanted 0183, USB and NMEA 2000.  Works great!  No reason to replace a good radio.

Mounted both on the inside of the panel that houses the VHF and stereo.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 07:07:49 PM by joel »

Ganesha

AIS Installation
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 03:42:53 PM »
Planning on installing AIS but not sure to go with VHF Radio with AIS integrated or Vesper Marine XB-8000. Any suggestions? My current VHF with DSC radio works fine.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below