Author Topic: H44 Shroud Chainplates replacement project  (Read 195 times)

erusso

H44 Shroud Chainplates replacement project
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 11:06:41 PM »
hi,

very close to taking ownership of my new to me 1989 Hylas 44.

I am committed to replacing the chain plates for the shrouds, obvious water intrusion for some time.

my plan is to remove the cabinetry carefully, cut the welds that hold the plates to the stainless webbed bulkhead, and have some new ones bolted to the webbing. thoughts, cautionary tales, ideas...

I've considered doing it from above, fibreglassing is cheaper than carpentry. I've considered using tie rods from a new plate(s) to the stainless girder below. welding inside the boat not considered!

I believe the webbing is massively over engineered and does not require replacement ( guess I'll find out), after 30 years it is hard to believe though that crevice corrosion will not have affected the chainplates themselves. and because I can't see that it hasn't, replacement is only option.

some owners have already given me plans and pictures, amazingly helpful. tips and ideas on removing cabinetry without destruction would be great. hearing from someone who has done this would be fantastically helpful.

thanks in advance.  hoping to be custodian of this beautiful boat into the future.

Elliot

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 11:20:20 AM by erusso »

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below