Author Topic: H44 Keel  (Read 233 times)

Grayl

Re: H44 Keel
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 04:39:17 AM »
Hi Chad,

We had the keep bolts tightened shortly after purchasing Journey, April 2012. When the boat was out of the water for a scrape and paint there was a definite line between hull and keel. Tightened bolts have been great since. They're not easy to access.

Fair Winds,

Greg
"Journey" H44 #8
Olympia, WA
"Listen much, talk little, and do not become angry".

Sailingalice

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »
Hi Chad

We have just tightened all the keel bolts on our 44,

there is one  3 in the mast step 6 under the fuel tanks 1 in the bilge under the grew water tank and 1 under the oil catcher for the engine, this is from memory i will check later in the week. I also have the original drawings if anyone is interested.
The one under the engine we managed to access by removing the bulk head under the sink , we then had to remove the deck drain seacocks and through hull fitting this made room for the oil catcher to be moved aft and created just enough room with out removing the engine for the bolt to be tightened,   

I hope  this helps
Blake and Erica
Alice In Wonderland
H44 number 18

Ambition

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 04:56:58 PM »
Chad,
Is the possible source of the vibration coming from the prop spinning while sailing? On Ambition, we leave the transmission in reverse to prevent prop spin - forgetting to do that definitely will generate noise but in our case not vibration.

Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Chad Walsh

• Chad Walsh - Velella H44
H44 Keel
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 04:20:27 PM »
Hi,  I own a 1990 Hylas 44.  I was wondering if anyone has ever done any maintenance or inspection of the keel and keel bolts.  Is this something that need to be checked at some point?  The reason I ask is sometimes when we are sailing along between about 5 1/2- 8kts (10kts<wind<18kts; beam reach to close reach; wind waves 1-2ft) we sometimes get this weird low frequency shudder/vibration thru the vessel, which is definitely coming from the hull/water interface and definitely not the rudder (I don't feel the vibration thru the helm at all; rather, it's like a very slight but noticeable shudder thru the whole cockpit).  I've noticed it since I bought the boat in 2015.  Almost as if the keel were wiggling a little under the load (I'm hoping NOT).  Perhaps it's just inherent in the H44 structure, but for such an otherwise solid boat it seems strange in relatively light weather/wave conditions.

Thanks,
Chad Walsh
SV Velella H44/#74
Chad Walsh - Velella H44

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below