Author Topic: Mounting a TV in the Main Salon (H46)  (Read 585 times)

joel

Re: Mounting a TV in the Main Salon (H46)
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 12:04:55 PM »
Dan

Thru bolted. Just need som capnuts to dress it up. Enjoy!

Sailsteady

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 02:30:53 PM »
Joel, how did you secure the mount itself, just screws, or did you through-bolt it?  I'm getting ready to order a mount today and stick with my 110V Smart TV.  I found an extra long power cable for it on Amazon and it tucks away nicely around the settee to the outlet on the port side.  I'm going to leave the DVD player in the cabinet on the starboard side and I have a 15foot cable to plug in if/when I want to watch a movie.  Once I'm done the cable goes back into the cabinet.

Best,

Dan

joel

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 03:07:38 PM »
Dan,

Thanks.  Picture quality is good.  Sound is acceptable for TV, not good for music.  It is not a smart TV, but I added a Roku.

Still working on the wifi thing.  I've got  12 volt router, just need input.  I can use my phone as a hotspot.  Not sure how quickly I'll run out of data.

Sailsteady

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 03:04:19 PM »
Nice job Joel, very clean install!  How are you liking the Transit TV so far?  I'm assuming it's a SMART TV as well with onboard WiFi??

Dan

joel

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 02:22:13 PM »
Here's a shot of the TV.  The line hanging down is the release for the mount.  The 12 volt socket under the speaker.

Sailsteady

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 05:44:16 PM »
Take some pics Joel, looking forward to seeing the final product!  I guess you suddenly have more options when you go with a 12V TV, but I'm still holding out for a clean install using AC.  I guess I could cut the TV cord and splice in an extension to run it somewhere else.  That's probably what most people have done given the fact there is no outlet in that location on the H46.

Best,

Dan

joel

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 02:57:59 PM »
Update:
USPS lost the first mount I ordered, so I got one of these:

Perlesmith RV Lockable TV Wall Mount for Most 23-43 Inch LED, LCD, OLED Plasma, Flat Screen TVs Full Motion with Articulating Arm Bears up to 77 lbs Swivels Tilts Extends for MotorHomes Camper Trailer

Weighs way more than than the TV!  Bolted it to the bulkhead.  Lock seems secure.

The 44 has a reading lamp and a speaker on the bulkhead.  I removed the speaker and used the feed for the reading lamp to power a 12 volt outlet and USB port for the 12 volt TV. 

joel

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 02:29:33 PM »
Yup,

Edited the message.  The mount should be here by the weekend.

Sailsteady

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 10:35:47 PM »
Hey Joel, I think the rest of your message got cut short? 

joel

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 12:27:41 PM »
Ordered this on Amazon:
Mount-It! Lockable RV TV Wall Mount with Quick Release, Full Motion Flat Screen Bracket for Campers, Travel Trailers, RVs, Motorhomes and Marine.

Also ordered a 12 volt 32 inch tv.  You know what I am doing this weekend.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:09:32 PM by joel »

Toberle

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »
We have a 56 instead of 46 but I will share our experience.  We shopped all day looking at TV mounts.  We returned with 2 options for the electrician.  After examining them and the Visio TV he discovered he can mount the TV directly to the bulkhead without a mount.  Problem solved.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 10:41:42 AM by Toberle »

Sailsteady

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »
Good morning Joel, thanks for your reply!  I have not purchased a mount yet as I was waiting to hear replies before moving forward.  It will for sure be a flat mount, however, and not one of the articulating ones.  I've done that before aboard Nepenthe and the TV simply moves around way too much!

As far as power, the forward cabin is on the other side of the salon bulkhead and forward of that is the head, so there is no tapping into that outlet.  I think our layouts are likely somewhat different.  The nearest outlet is the one on the port side nook which is where the fixed large portlight also resides.  Not quite sure how I would get the TV power in that location but was hoping someone on here already solved that problem without assistance from the factory!  :-)

Best,

Dan

joel

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 02:27:00 PM »
Dan,

On our 44 the TV was in the same place, but on a moving mount.  It was bolted through the bulkhead.  Because is was a movable mount I removed the TV before it was destroyed bashing into the mast.  Can you tell me what sort of mount you are using?  We want to reinstall a new unit.

Is there an outlet in the head you can tap into and install a new outlet in the bulkhead with a box inside the medicine cabinet? 

Joel

Sailsteady

Mounting a TV in the Main Salon (H46)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 01:47:10 PM »
Good morning Team Hylas!  This message is probably more specific to the H46 owners due to design and layout, etc.

After moving the TV around in numerous locations throughout Nepenthe (1997 H46), I think I'm ready to bite the bullet and mount the TV in the main salon just to the left of the mast where the picture currently hangs.  There are a few issues which make this someone challenging as an after-build install and they are the mount itself and obtaining power/HDMI for the TV.  Unfortunately there is no outlet directly below the mount location on the H46s, or at least not mine.  The nearest outlet is located in the nook along the port side.

I'd love to hear back from anyone who has done this project themselves to discuss your choices and experience.

As always, thanks in advance for the wonderful input!  Photo attached for reference.

Best,

Dan Kral
s/v Nepenthe
Currently in Brunswick, GA

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below