Author Topic: Bilge pump sinking boat on HYLAS 44  (Read 145 times)

NordicSunII

Re: Bilge pump sinking boat on HYLAS 44
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 09:46:51 PM »
Pictures are always good, you could post them here, or send them to gregalarsen@msn.com

I'm going to investigate that stainless manifold for a venting problem.  Since my manifold is not leaking I'm wondering if I could  resolve my issue by fixing the vent on the manifold, plus adding a redundant vent loop  in the hose right before it goes into the manifold.  One vent for each hose, one for the bilge pump hose and one for the gray water hose.  I also have a secondary rule automate bilge pump, I think it is a 2000 or bigger.  This secondary pump, pumps out through a "Y" in one of the aft cockpit drains.  The "Y" is fitted right below the deck of the cockpit drain. No vent loop necessary on this hose because the cockpit drain acts just like a vent loop, I hope.  This was plumbed this way by the prior owner.

Sailingalice

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 07:08:49 PM »
we used the original through hull fitting the vented loop is above the water line.  sorry if i was unclear

we used a whale gulpa for the standard bilge pump this keeps the bilge dry and a rule 2000 for our emergency bilge pump. the boat had a generator, we have used the old exhaust overboard for the emergency pump. This is below the tow rail on the stb side in the aft locker.

We have not got to the grey water pump yet but will properly go with the same whale pump

If you would like to see some photos send me you email address 

Blake and Erica
Alice In Wonderland
H44 number 18

NordicSunII

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 04:39:37 PM »
Interesting.  I'm thinking it should be above the waterline, but I'm thinking the transom might be better than on the starboard side the can be underwater when on a port tack.  Did you eliminate the original underwater thru-hull?

Also what kind of bilge and sump pump are you using?  A diaphragm pump in engine room, or a centrifugal pump in bilge and sump?

Sailingalice

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 07:56:52 AM »
Hi Nordic sun

I have just re run our bilge hoses on Alice h44 hull 18, our through hull for bilge and grey are on the stb side just under the water line as well. The pipe work originally went though a manifold above the waterline with an anti siphon valve in the top this could be stuck and be causing your problem.

We have now moved and replaced the stainless steel leaking manifold into the engine room and run a 38mm instead of the 19mm hose to the outlet valve via a new non return valve in the same place above the water line,

I hope this helps
Blake and Erica
Alice In Wonderland
H44 number 18

NordicSunII

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 12:12:21 PM »
Yes the discharge is under the waterline on the starboard side.  Both the sump and the bilge use a common manifold mounted on in the inside just under the tow rail and behind back back bulkhead of the aft cabin hanging locker. It then leads down to the thru-hull under the forward part of the aft double bed. Remember now my Hylas is hull #3.

Where are your bilge pump and sump exits overboard on your Hylas 44?

joel

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 12:03:40 PM »
Is the discharge below the waterline?

NordicSunII

Bilge pump sinking boat on HYLAS 44
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 08:42:30 AM »
Yesterday my bilge pump was cycling on and off.  Every time the bilge was empty the pump would turn off and then water would come back down the hose and fill the bilge and the pump would start again.  Over and over.  If pump was turned off the water would keep coming back down the hose and fill the bilge.  To stop it from doing this I had to close the thru-hull fitting.  Basically, water was siphoning back into the boat every time the bilge pump was turned off.  Water would keep coming in and would have eventually sunk the boat if I don

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below