Author Topic: Deck hatch gaskets...  (Read 39 times)

Windswept

Re: Deck hatch gaskets...
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 10:47:54 PM »
Don - for the fridge/freezer door the flat gasket measurement is 3/4in x 1/8in and I purchased metric sizes from QL 19mm wide x 3mm thick. Our fridge/freezer doors have both round and flat gaskets. The round solid tubing was the same size as the port/stbd lazz, measuring 5/8in - I ordered 16mm. I assume the round gasket material was original in the fridge/freezer, but the flat gasket around the door frame may have been a previous owner addition.

Besides compression, these gaskets seemed to last the test of time so I just ordered from QL directly. Alternatively I'm sure you can save a bit of money by picking something locally.

We are currently in Redondo Beach, CA but Mexico bound in 2 months. Reach out if you're down this way.

Chris
S/V Beleza - H46 #44

Mighty fine Chris....Might do as you say....and look around here for gasket material. I emailed the below link, no feedback yet and will try Brians idea. Thanks Brian!!  Thumbs up regarding the "reach out". I found your steed on the web and sure like your feedback regarding your rig and your plan in two months. My email is donnie.c.chaney@gmail.com. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:54:58 PM by Windswept »

stgermain45

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 07:09:27 PM »
Don - for the fridge/freezer door the flat gasket measurement is 3/4in x 1/8in and I purchased metric sizes from QL 19mm wide x 3mm thick. Our fridge/freezer doors have both round and flat gaskets. The round solid tubing was the same size as the port/stbd lazz, measuring 5/8in - I ordered 16mm. I assume the round gasket material was original in the fridge/freezer, but the flat gasket around the door frame may have been a previous owner addition.

Besides compression, these gaskets seemed to last the test of time so I just ordered from QL directly. Alternatively I'm sure you can save a bit of money by picking something locally.

We are currently in Redondo Beach, CA but Mexico bound in 2 months. Reach out if you're down this way.

Chris
S/V Beleza - H46 #44

brian black

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 06:06:43 PM »
I go to Amazon, they have a lot of options and I've been able to find some that works just fine.  Your results may vary

Windswept

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »
Chris.....thanks heaps for the pic's! Well, couple of things...

In the fridge I have no gaskets on the doors (top or side) themselves. I only have gaskets on the fridge side. I'm sure that will be fine in Mexico right?? LOL

So, I can't read your mic. Is that fridge door (what your mic'ing 5/8"x 1/8"?
And I see by your itemized list....your also using a 16mm round for the fridge doors?

So you ordered round for all your outside hatches.....now that I look at mine, they were probably round as well, just look flat as they have been there 2 years longer than yours ;(

How do you feel your order is working as planed?

BTW: Where you at? Would love to see your baby. We're in the Monterey Bay/Moss Landing

Thanks
Don

PS. Edit: Just attempting to add the gasket material to stanchion bases and cabinet locks wihtin the same shipment. ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:59:07 PM by Windswept »

stgermain45

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 05:11:35 PM »
Few more pics... the last 2 pics with the flat gaskets are what I was referring to in that I don't believe are QL original.

Chris

stgermain45

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 05:07:05 PM »
I think some pics would be worth 1000 words. Most of our round solid gaskets have been compressed enough over the years that they leak. We were just trying to replace with the same thing. See attached.

Chris

Windswept

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 04:42:11 PM »
Timely thread. We just went through this on Beleza, and in fact I was planning to start installing them today. Like you, Queen Long did not have a record of the gaskets used on our '02 H46 and we went back and forth with pictures. I did end up ordering direct from them. This is what we purchased and I noted below what each was for. Shipping charge was from QL Taiwan to west coast USA.

Description Total price
Yacht Part for Hylas 46-#44
Gaskets
1. Flat type - 19mm (3mm thickness) 5 METER, $7.00/m - $35.00 [fridge/freezer doors]
2. Solid tubing - 13mm 6 METER, $7.00/m - $42.00 [propane and anchor lockers]
3. Solid tubing - 16mm 11 METER, $7.00/m - $77.00 [port/stbd aft lazarettes and fridge/freezer doors]
4. Solid tubing - 19mm 3 METER, $7.00/m - $21.00 [aft steps locker]
5. Shipping Cost (By DHL) $95.00
Note: Subtotal $270.00

My guess is the first line item for the fridge/freezer door was not QL original installation, but it seems to help.

Chris
S/V Beleza, H46 #44

G'day Chris, yes, timely indeed  ;D Well, firstly, It was suggested using your #1 above for the deck lockers? I did a quick conversion, 3mm to be an 1/8 which is not nearly thick enough for the lockers. I see above, looks like they used the 1/8" for the freezer/fridge doors. I just looked at my fridge/Fz doors and my gasket is 1/2x 1/4"(1/4" thick). My fridge doors are ok...but, would not mind replacing them now.

So, the rest of your gaskets are all round?. If so, is your existing gaskets (deck hatches) flat? If the latter is so....how does the round work in the flat channles of the deck hatches?

Lastly, I'm thinking the round gasket for the aft steps would be slightly odd, advise.

Appreciate big time your feedback!!

Best
Don

Windswept

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 04:26:46 PM »
Hi, in looking for gaskets for the Atkins and Hoyle hatches and portlights on my 44, I found this source:
 https://www.canalrubber.com/full-round-closed-cell-neoprene-sponge-cord/
I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but maybe they have what you are looking for.
Norm
H44-29

Thanks Norm, I' emailed your supplied link and will report my findings!

stgermain45

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 03:11:15 PM »
Timely thread. We just went through this on Beleza, and in fact I was planning to start installing them today. Like you, Queen Long did not have a record of the gaskets used on our '02 H46 and we went back and forth with pictures. I did end up ordering direct from them. This is what we purchased and I noted below what each was for. Shipping charge was from QL Taiwan to west coast USA.

Description Total price
Yacht Part for Hylas 46-#44
Gaskets
1. Flat type - 19mm (3mm thickness) 5 METER, $7.00/m - $35.00 [fridge/freezer doors]
2. Solid tubing - 13mm 6 METER, $7.00/m - $42.00 [propane and anchor lockers]
3. Solid tubing - 16mm 11 METER, $7.00/m - $77.00 [port/stbd aft lazarettes and fridge/freezer doors]
4. Solid tubing - 19mm 3 METER, $7.00/m - $21.00 [aft steps locker]
5. Shipping Cost (By DHL) $95.00
Note: Subtotal $270.00

My guess is the first line item for the fridge/freezer door was not QL original installation, but it seems to help.

Chris
S/V Beleza, H46 #44

Norm

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 11:26:13 AM »
Hi, in looking for gaskets for the Atkins and Hoyle hatches and portlights on my 44, I found this source:
 https://www.canalrubber.com/full-round-closed-cell-neoprene-sponge-cord/
I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but maybe they have what you are looking for.
Norm
H44-29

Windswept

Deck hatch gaskets...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 10:48:34 AM »
G'day members, hope everyone is doing fine at these trying times. Needless to say, reading quite a few horror stories (cruisers getting hung up all over the world due to this Covid.) Our prayers are out to them!

OK, been in touch with Queen Long, regarding stanchion bases and cabinet (push button lockes) which they have. I have now been informed they ('ll quote)

I regret to say that we did not have any records for the gasket sizes for all 5 lockers.
We do not have gaskets of 3/4" wide x 5/8" thick either 3/4" x 3/4" available.
If the supplier in Taiwan could provide these specific gasket sizes for us, they will require a minimum order quantity per each batch.
Will it be worthwhile doing with small quantities?
Possibly it would be better to source the gaskets from the vendors locally to make sure the replacements will match correctly and propely. (end quote)

On our Hylas 1999/2000 #028 all my deck hatches are leaking. Actually, what previous owners did was... use some sort of gasket material and glue it to the deck side....as original gaskets are all in tack, but not total sealing. I thought it would be better to just replace all gaskets.

Q. Would anyone have a sourse for these gaskets? Needless to say, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Don/Gloria
Windswept H-46 #028

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below