Author Topic: Our Solar panel installation on H54  (Read 992 times)

Hobiehobie

Re: Our Solar panel installation on H54
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 01:09:48 AM »
Let me try again... some digital hiccup. 

We would not change anything except maybe add a down light under the panels to illuminate the transom steps.

Headroom is great.  Dinghy shading is great. Output is good. Would be nice to have added a fifth panel but the

Hobiehobie

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 01:00:22 AM »
Not really.  Of course we

Zebedee

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 09:46:14 PM »
Just checking in on your solar installation. We have the same davits on our H56 and are looking at similar install options.
Has the output been sufficient for your needs? Anything you'd do differently? Thanks

bobknapp

• Quintessa
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 10:43:50 PM »
That is by far the nicest solar installation I have seen. Well done!  If I had davits I would do the exact same thing.  As a footnote, not having davits, I opted for the next best option--the bimini top.  It is only half the capacity (2x 130w solbian semi flexible) but actually does not suffer from any shading of the boom, and the wiring went all the way inside the pipes.

Bob Knapp,
s/v Quintessa (H49-46)

joel

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 03:50:01 PM »
That's a great design! and there is little chance of shading (unlike on my hard bimini).  Please let us know how much output you get from the panels.

Joel
Atlantis
Hylas 44 #66

Hobiehobie

Our Solar panel installation on H54
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:31:16 PM »

Though someone might be interested in our new solar arch and panels on our Hylas 54.

We wanted to add significant solar area but we were not keen on putting panels on deck (shading, slippery), on rail “wings” or on the canvas bimini top (shading, dynamic substrate, complex wire routing, not useable when boat stripped bare for storage).  We wanted a solution that looked in keeping with the existing boat structures and we did not care for sharp-cornered aluminum flat frame panel solution often seen.

So, we had a curved frame of stainless rail welded to the top of the Simpson Davits which matches the existing Hylas rails.   Over that is a GRP panel color matched to deck grp to act as structure to attach the semi flexible solar panels (four Solbian SP130W). The curved shape makes sure there is head room to duck under to use the transom steps. The structure does not interfere with after-swim showers, dinghy storage, nor does it impinge on the ability to use the steps for dinghy loading.  And it keeps the sun off the dink.  In fact the structure seems to make the davits even stronger than before.  The added weight is still well within the 225 kg specs of the davits and as we just switched from a GRP to a much lighter aluminum dink, the weight aft is probably more or less unchanged.  We also moved the aft nav light from the davit to the aft edge of the frame and relocated the ensign pole socket so the ensign does not flap over the panels. So far we are very happy with the power from the panels, the look, and the strength of the solution.  Happy to share the plans with anyone interested. 😃

Pics enclosed.  Note: wires not dressed tidily yet

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below