Author Topic: Offshore self steering  (Read 255 times)

linback

ISO13728 Panama Chock
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 06:31:56 AM »
The Panama chocks are made according to the ISO 13728 standard and are normally adopted for ships passing through the Panama Canal, which are normally assisted by locomotives using steel towing wire. They meet normal mooring requirements and Panama Canal requirements. The material is steel casting material, having a yield point of not less than 235N/mm2 or equivalent. The carbon contents of the steel casting for ISO13728 chock shall not be more than 0.23% considering weldability. The nominal size of the chock is denoted by reference to the width of the opening, in millimeters, which are 310mm and 360mm. It can be classified as deck-mounted Panama chock and bulwark mounted one according to their installation site.

mjarzo

Re: Offshore self steering
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 04:35:24 AM »
We fitted a Hydrovane to our H49 a few years ago and I'm very pleased with it. I had a few requirements when I started researching wind-pilots and on paper the HV appeared to cover what I needed. In retrospect, it's been much better than I expected.

First it had to work as an emergency rudder system. I was racing offshore single-handed, and an emergency rudder system was a requirement under the SSS rules. I tested it as an emergency rudder using a SS pipe for a tiller while locking the main helm center and it worked okay under sail. It was very responsive when using the engine alone.

It also had to operate as a wind pilot because I was planning to go cruising later on. I was a bit concerned that the H49 was around the upper limit of the size/displacement recommended by HV so I contacted them. They put me in touch with a couple on a similar displacement steel boat that had done a lot of sea miles including Cape Horn. They were pleased with it but mentioned that sail trim was important.

With the H49 being a center cockpit, I did not want a system with lines running to the steering wheel. Additional tripping hazard and a lot of pulleys to get the lines from the stern to the wheel. Our H49 has a stern arch with solar panels so I also needed a system that would fit under the arch. After careful measurements I figured the HV with short model tube and stubby vane would clear by one inch! Bit the bullet and purchased the HV with shortest tube and Stubby vane.

We left California in 2017, did Mexico, S Pacific, Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, and are now in Malaysia. Our sailing is now restricted due to Covid, but it's a nice place to be stuck. We use the HV as our main autopilot on passage so we've done around 15,000nm with it.

It works very well from close-hauled through to about 135 apparent. From 135 apparent to dead downwind it depends on wind/wave conditions and what sails we are flying. If the wind is above about 18 knots true, then all okay and HV works right through to DDW--even with the kite up. We have a full batten mainsail so I usually put one reef in it to reduce weather helm when wind gets to 20 true sailing downwind. Higher winds are not an issue for the HV. I have had the HV steering continually in 40 knots true with a triple reefed main and staysail on a broad reach and made 175nm in 24 hours.

We usually pole-out the genoa for anything deeper than 130 apparent--both goosewing and also when broad reaching. It stops it from collapsing when waves pass under the stern and roll the boat. We use our kite a fair bit too and the HV works okay provided there is enough wind. If wind is below about 10 knots true there isn't enough apparent wind over the stubby vane from behind to be effective. We usually have the spinnaker up and use the electric autopilot steering to masthead windvane in those conditions. Starting around 12 knots true (roughly 6-7 apparent) I can get the HV working deep downwind provided the waves are not big and rolling the boat a lot. As wind speed increases it performs better. If you don't have an arch and can use the longer tube and tall vane I assume it would perform better than ours deep downwind. Overall we use it about 90% of the time and very happy with it.

We mounted the HV as close to the swim ladder as possible. The ladder just clears the HV mount by 1/8" when opening the ladder. I have attached some pics of when we mounted it. We also added a Watt and Sea water generator on the other side of the swim ladder  a few weeks later (not in the pics).

Hey Derek, how are you? Good to hear you are still sailing. I thought you were going to sell Manketti--obviously not!. BTW: we both got our HV's in 2017 not 2018--mate, time is flying by too fast. Michael on HYLITE, H49 #58.

derek

Re: Offshore self steering
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 03:01:36 PM »
Manketti has a Hydrovane which I fitted in 2018 as we have a arch with solar panels we went for the short stubby vane I also di make some very elaborate tubes which on reflection was a little over the top! as I know that soon after ours was complete another 49 fitted one with it more off centre but Bothe of us can still open the boot and the steps are still in full use as well, the main reason we went for the Hydrovane was because you have a separate rudder so in the event of there being problems with the yachts rudder we can use the Hydrovane as a Jury rudder. there is a tube video of mine at work crossing the English Channel and it performed very well I also used it on my 2019 trip to the Azores and then back to Portugal you do need to get the boat well balanced prior to engaging it. I have lots of pictures of the fitting of it and can send you as many as you like but its very difficult to put any up here due to the size of files but please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like more info!
Derek Manketti HY49#47
Derek.manning@outlook.co

https://youtu.be/P8Qctus0QCg

Galila

Offshore self steering
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 07:59:37 PM »
Hi all recently purchased a Hylas 49 1995 and going offshore what is the best performance steering system that you have found for this yacht,just wondering.eg: Hydrovane,Airies,others?
I do have a good auto pilot but need a second option. With the sugar scoop transom it would have to be offset as you know.
Thanks in advance.
😎 happy trails
Galila HY49 #14

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below