Author Topic: Replacement for Nilsson Maxwell 1000 windlass  (Read 563 times)

joel

Re: Replacement for Nilsson Maxwell 1000 windlass
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 08:02:55 PM »
I checked with Maxwell on their recommendation.

They said the Nillson 1000 was selected because it had a reversible motor, but the proper size is a 1500 or bigger.  I'll switch to 5/16 G4 chain to save weight and go with the 1500.  Two more boat bucks!

Ripple

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 02:45:33 AM »
Because the Windlass cable terminations were not closed/sealed at the windlass we had to replace 10 feet of all cables before we found original cable suitable for connections. Before that discovery, we thought the motor was failing...turned out it wouldn

joel

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 01:56:10 AM »
Found a major problem-a badly made and badly corroded cable. Not sure how I missed it. Also a foot switch was bad. Replaced another suspect cable as well as the bullets and springs
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 02:06:56 AM by joel »

joel

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 02:50:59 PM »
Don,

Thanks for the reply!!  I'm in no rush to climb in there again! 
Our unit does not have the built in hawse pipe but is similar in size.  I'm hoping it will be an easy swap.   Also, my guard plate is forward of the windlass, so it can be dealt with separately.

I've got some parts coming for the old unit.  We'll see how it does this fall.

Windswept

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 08:31:57 PM »
Hello Joel...sorry for the belated reply, been crazy around here ;)

OK, my Maxwell is the 2200. Matter of fact (I found out) it is the same unite as the 3500 except the 3500 has one different gear in it (lower). When I had the 2200 apart, I tried to purchase that gear to make my unite a 3500. Maxwell would not sell it to me. Ummm.

Luckly for me.... I also fould out that my motor was not the original but, a later unite. I had the new motor. ;)

I'm attaching pic's where I pulled the SS top guard plate. I wanted to get in there for two reasons. 1. Repair existing or rather non existing deck sandwiched plywood hawspipe area. Where the chain goes through the deck, that sandwiched ply was rotted and nearly non existant which made the security of the winch itself...not secure. After cleaning out the old wood, I replaced the void with beefed up West system. You can see in the pic how I repaired the area.

Secondly, I installed a 5/8" marine ply as a backing plate. I again used West system to bond the backing plate in along with new winch bolts. Now I have a winch base that I can rely on. For some reason I do not have pic's with the new backing plate??

To complete the project, I re-bed the SS strike plate with 5200.

Best
Don
Windswept 028

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:40:06 PM by Windswept »

joel

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 01:35:00 PM »
Nice job!

Which model do you have?  We don't have the chain feed and our drum is smooth, but it is similar.

Windswept

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 11:47:17 PM »
Maxwell's are pretty tough....I replaced my seals, cleaned, painted with expoxy paint & re chromed. I belive i have around 550 bucks in it...

joel

Replacement for Nilsson Maxwell 1000 windlass
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 05:28:07 PM »
It may be time to replace my 30 year old windlass.  I

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below