Author Topic: Boom preventer  (Read 202 times)

bobknapp

• Quintessa
Re: Boom preventer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 06:37:53 AM »
A boom preventer is a great feature. We often use ours to stabilize the boom in light air on many points of sail as we are in the Med where the seas can be short and erratic. For this we often use the midship cleat carefully running the preventer inside some rigging and stanchions. For downwind we always use the preventer in any conditions for safety of boat and crew. For this the preventer is taken outside everything and goes to the forward cleat. I believe the low-tech dacron line offers sufficient shock load absorption in and of itself.

Bob
s/v Quintessa
(H49/46)

Hobiehobie

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 02:44:29 AM »
Yes the aft forward cleat seems the best place.  Donít think the midship cleat is far enough forward for optimal preventer angle.  Depending on boom angle the preventer (our new one a dyneema cored line) generally goes inside the stanchions but outside of Genoa sheet but you have to watch for these rubbing. If the boom is way out you might need to thread the line between some of the stanchions but risk bending some stainless if you gybe!  Had not thought of shock protection. We always set the preventer tight using the coach roof winch in the cockpit and then sheet in the boom a bit to make the preventer and sheet tight to prevent any movement.  But I am sure in an unintentional gybe there would be a shock load.  We usually deploy preventer at wind angle of 120 degrees +. Less if the waves are pushing us around or if wind shifts seem likely. 

Che Figata

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 01:21:12 AM »
We have a 56 (#18 2014) with the same arrangement.  I run the line up to the bow cleat.  I do use a short length of dock line with a rubber snubber to attach the preventer line to the cleat to take up some of the shock to the boom in an active seaway.  Works well for me.  As a practice I always set the running back stay when using the preventer.  In light air I have not bothered with the preventer.  In wind/waves of significance I always use the preventer when running downwind.  Interested in any other practices for the attachment point.

nesscapade

Boom preventer
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 02:49:49 PM »
I have an H54 # 28 (2003). There is a boom preventer on the boom. I've never used it but might this summer. Does anyone know where it connects to the deck when in use?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below