Author Topic: Batteries for Hylas 44, Type, Number, and Position  (Read 118 times)

joel

Re: Batteries for Hylas 44, Type, Number, and Position
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 06:19:42 PM »
I'm not familiar with Apex and I've never had AGMs, as they need more care and feeding than flooded batteries.  Doesn't mean they are not right for you.
Joel

NordicSunII

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 04:43:25 AM »
I some 6 volt AGM batteries that seem to fit the bill and seem to be inexpensive.  As they say you get what you pay for.   They are short enough and the dimensions are perfect to get 6 of these under nav table seat.  Here is the link:  https://www.apexbattery.com/trojan-6v-agm-6vagm-battery.html

Any experience with these batteries?

joel

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 02:33:16 PM »
The problem with 6 volt batteries is that they are taller.  They barely fit under the seat.  I've got 2 6 volts and a 12 volt starter there, and 2 more 6 volts behind the nav seat.  I don't know if you could get 6 of them in the space you have.

If you switch to lithium you will need to reprogram your regulator, solar controllers, charger etc.  The name brand lithiums are expensive.  I don't trust the ones Walmart sells.

NordicSunII

Batteries for Hylas 44, Type, Number, and Position
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 06:18:01 AM »
I currently have 2 8D AGM batteries for my house battery, and 1 group 27 for starter.   They live in the locker under the chart table seat.   They are a pain to deal with due to the fact they way 161 pound.  I'd consider maybe 6 volts hooked in series to make each battery lighter and easier to move around.  I'd really like to go lithium but those seem to be twice as expensive. What kind of batteries do you have on your Hylas 44?  My need replacing. 

Also where else are people installing batteries?  I'd like to move them to centerline to help with the listing of the boat to port.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below