Author Topic: Inverter/Charger Advice needed  (Read 125 times)

Moonlight

Re: Inverter/Charger Advice needed
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 03:32:35 PM »
After some discussions with a marine electrician at our marina where he said the biggest maintenance item during the summer was to replace charger/inverters and when they went down they often took all the power down with them.  I decided to keep the two functions separate.  We have a Promariner charger and a Promariner pure sine wave 2000 W inverter.  I figure that I only have to replace one  unit when it goes down. 

Jack
Moonlight H49 #31

joel

Re: Inverter/Charger Advice needed
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 05:36:37 PM »
I've got a Mastervolt charger that can handle 3 banks (start/house/windlass) and no inverter.  I've talked to  a couple of local marine electricians in the Annapolis area, and they recommend separating the charger and inverter.

Can't imagine you need a larger inverter, and you can probably drop down to a 1,000 watt unit.  You might also look at 12 volt adapters for the laptop.  Look at the power use for the TV and DVD player.

Joel

NordicSunII

Inverter/Charger Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 03:36:41 PM »
I have a Hylas 44 Mark I.  I currently has a 1500 watt inverter/charger.  The charging unit has malfunctioned and is now overcharging at 16 volts.  This fried my two AGM 8d batteries.  I clearly need to replace the unit.  My question is what inverter/charge are you guys using, or recommending as a replacement.  Note my boat doesn't have a micro, or washing machine.  Only 110 volt equipment is a couple of laptops, charging the camera batteries, tv and dvd player and running a small shop vac.  How big of a inverter charger do I need?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below