Author Topic: Stowing a life raft on a 44  (Read 537 times)

joel

Re: Stowing a life raft on a 44
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 03:24:05 PM »
Capt. Kevin,

Thanks for the input.  We do the Bermuda races with a crew of 6, so we had to go with a 6 person raft.  A 4 is not much smaller or lighter.

I would never stow the raft in the cabin, and I understand the risk of having it in the locker.  Because it is a soft case I'd like it out of the elements and because we plan to cruise the islands I'd like it out of sight. 
Nordic Sun is right about protecting the exhaust hose. 

I've cut some 3/4 ply (and epoxied it) to box in the exhaust hose.  I'll epoxy in the vertical divider when it gets a little warmer.  The horizontal piece will tie into the cleat that the teak grate rested on the starboard side.  It will leave enough room for the raft and ditch bag to fit in the lazarrette. 

Joel
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 06:26:35 PM by joel »

SVPlanSea

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 06:30:19 AM »
Ahoy Joel-
I was similarly compuzzeled for stowage of LR on my Hylas 44. I mounted it in canister on aft deck with hydro-static release. It seamed at first like it would be in the way of activity back there, but has become a well known useful surface - like a cocktail table.  I now like it being there where it won't be like on surface of the moon when it could be needed.

For whatever it's worth, I'm not a fan of life rafts stowed in lockers or forward of cockpit.  I crossed pacific last year on another boat (58 ft Tayana) with a life raft that stowed in an aft locker.  Had to remove it many times to access autopilot items causing problems. 85lbs bag was not easy or fast to get out in flat sea and in good healthy fit times.  I wouldn't want to do it if I were hurt and desperate to exit boat before she slips below or I burn up. That was in my head each time I extracted the bag.

Also, I regret having selected a 6 person life raft for my own boat.  We never do passages with more than 4 people.  Usually 3.  We only have 6 onboard when day sailing on coasts.  I've read reports that an understaffed life raft is less stable and less survivable on a long haul wait in open ocean for rescue. 6 can crowd safely into a 4 person life raft for short time reasonable to expect in a coastal rescue situation (assuming EPIRB, DSC, hhvhf to make it happen). Hope we never test that theory.

just a few thoughts.  Best.  Captain Kevin

NordicSunII

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 03:47:46 AM »
That might be a good place to store a life raft.  I think I would make sure it can get dislodged and knock off the exhaust hose.  I've considered removing the grating and then making a enclosure for the exhaust so I could get more storage out of the center back hatch.  Has anyone made this configuration change?

joel

Stowing a life raft on a 44
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 04:00:59 PM »
I am trying to find a place to stow a 6 person life raft in a valise. I’m thinking of removing the grate in the center lazarrete and stowing it there.
Is there a better place?
Joel
44#66
Atlantis

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below