Author Topic: Grey water float switch  (Read 968 times)

Hobiehobie

Re: Grey water float switch
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 08:01:51 PM »
It’s not two switches.  The Rule O Matic switches off at a lower fluid level than that which turns it on.   So it empties the fluid level below the point that cycling will occur due to slight sloshing of the fluid body.

NordicSunII

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 03:54:03 AM »
I'm curious about the to float switch wiring.  Does one activate the pump (the higher up one) and one turns off the pump (the lower one).  How is that wired up.  Normally the float switches when they float up turn on the power.  I have never heard about having a float switch that turns off the pump.  I would like to wire up my bilge pump so it works like your gray water.  Every time my boat rocks the bilge pump runs for a fraction of a second and then shuts off.

Hobiehobie

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 02:51:46 AM »
Just one float.  I am going to install a rule o matic and report back!

Virginia Voyager

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 03:09:55 PM »
I have H54 hull #8. Do you have 1 float switch or 2 in the sump? Mine has 2 float switches (1 on the bottom and 1 near the top) wired so that the tank needs to fill all nearly the way up before the pump activates. This keeps the pump from turning on and off due to simple "sloshing" of water while underway.

jt11791

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 03:26:24 AM »
My H54 has the same gray water tank with a Rule bilge pump switch.  Works fine, no rapid on/off cycling.
S/V Renegade  H54-19

Zebedee

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 07:03:01 PM »
We had a similar problem and float switch just stopped working. We replaced it (Rule-A-Matic) and- all good. I'm wondering if the spring mechanism gets "soft" over time and activates sooner than it should. New one did the trick.
John
Relentless
H56-10

Hobiehobie

Grey water float switch
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 06:37:56 PM »
In our H54 #50 we have a grey water sink tank.  It has a simple on/off float switch inside that activates the macerator pump according to the level of the grey water.  Trouble is when it stops unless you switch off the pump at the panel, any slight rock of the boat will make it activate the pump in annoying one second bursts...all night, all day.  Anyone have this issue or solved it. 

We were thinking of replacing it with a float switch like those in the bilge (which have different on and off levels) but not sure who they will respond to a water environment full of sometimes hot dirty water.

Thoughts/solutions appreciated.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below