Author Topic: Replacing H46 transom teak steps  (Read 565 times)

jt11791

Re: Replacing H46 transom teak steps
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 07:36:06 PM »
Ah!  Yes, they are teak.

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 07:24:59 PM »
Thank you, they look nice.
‘Team’ was supposed to be “Teak” but of course spellcheck ‘fixed’ that!

Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - ‘97 Hylas 46 #13

jt11791

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 07:19:49 PM »
Jeff, how was the quality?  Are they team?  Can you snap a pic of those and post them for us? 
I’m also interested in doing this as ours are quite worn as well.

Thanks, Ken

How is the quality?  Of course, I haven't installed them yet, but out of the crate they look very good.  They match the templates I made (for better or worse) and the wood is smooth and free of defects.

Are they team?  Um, not sure what you mean here.

Here are two photos of the transom step panels.  One thing to note is that they need to be washed, as there is quite a bit of wood dust on them.  The dust makes the black caulking look gray.

There will be some work involved installing them.  The top two steps, for example, need to be cut to allow for the lift-up lazarette door.  I will be quite nervous as woodworking is not my forte, but moving slowly and carefully, I'm reasonably confident I can get it done.

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 12:23:32 PM »
Jeff, how was the quality?  Are they team?  Can you snap a pic of those and post them for us? 
I’m also interested in doing this as ours are quite worn as well.

Thanks, Ken
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - ‘97 Hylas 46 #13

jt11791

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 04:05:02 AM »
Brad-

I'm in the process of doing this on my 54.  I made templates and sent them to Maritime Wood Products Corp. in Florida.  They made the panels and I just received them today.  The transom steps and the steps into the cockpit were $1500 altogether, not too bad.

-Jeff Taylor 

Ambition

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 12:39:06 AM »
I received a quote two weeks ago in Antigua from a reputable woodworker … US$3000 to replace our stern steps with new. He has already done a H49 recently.

Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46#40

joel

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 08:45:30 PM »
Brad,

If you can remove each piece without breaking it, you can use a router with an edge bit to make a perfect match (if the edges are not beveled). That's how I make new hatch lenses. 

Sometimes QL prices are amazingly reasonable, then there is this.

Joel
Hylas 44 # 66
Atlantis

bjhsail

• 2000 Hylas 46 "Helios"
Replacing H46 transom teak steps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »
Hello everyone - Brad here on our 2000 H46 "Helios". I am looking to replace the teak deck boards on the transom and cockpit coaming steps as they are wearing out. I exchanged emails with Queen Long 6 months ago, who said that they threw away the templates for these areas when they were cleaning out. As a result, they asked that I template each area and send the templates to them. Cost to produce new pieces = around $3500.

I am not confident that I am going to be able to template these areas accurately enough, and at that price I am exploring other alternatives. Has anyone replaced these steps on an H46, 49, 54/56? I'd be interested in knowing how you went about it and what materials you used. I'm looking at synthetic deck materials, as the transom steps are quite exposed and the lowest step is often submerged underway.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Brad

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below