Author Topic: Measuring tank capacity  (Read 183 times)

Knoxan

Re: Measuring tank capacity
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 06:24:09 AM »
Although we have gauges on H46#32 I measure fuel tanks with a ruler through the filling cap on the tank. Each tank is 10" deep.
As a rough rule divide capacity by 10 to get quantity per inch. Read depth of space above fuel surface and subtract from capacity. Much easier than measuring actual depth. Use torch to actually see ruler touch fuel surface. Works for me and easy to do.
Andy

Anthem

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 02:07:25 PM »
Hylas 46 -8.  Same as Joel.  Stainless rods that are hard to read.  Keep wooden dowel at each tank for dipping when low, but one 7 position WEMA gauge on 4 fuel and 2 water tanks.

800lance

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 04:01:58 PM »
Our Hylas 49í -32 Has stainless steel dipsticks too. A rag or tissue can be used to wipe down from top till wet to show level. It seems silly, but works. I have since installed WEMA gauges on water and fuel tanks. Works great and much easier to keep an eye on levels

jt11791

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
My 54 came with a wooden yardstick (it also has the useless metal rods).  The tanks are mostly rectangular so conversion from inches to volume is straightforward.

Sailsteady

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 07:39:14 PM »
Nice!  I'll need to put that on my list of things to upgrade in the coming months!

Dan

joel

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 07:33:30 PM »
The dowel was aboard when I bought Atlantis.  I just guesstimate.  With the gauges installed, the dowel is only used when Iím low on fuel to verify the tank reading.  Installing gauges is not that hard.  I put the sending units in the inspection ports to keep metal shavings out of the tank.  I went with a WEMA gauge that connects to 7 senders so there is only one hole at the nav station

Sailsteady

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 07:17:21 PM »
Thanks for the response Joel!  Unfortunately, my tank caps do not have any rods attached to them which is probably something that is missing!  I'm assuming your 1/8" dowel is home made and so is it marked in some fashion or do you simply guestimate based on the height of the fuel in the tank?

Dan
s/v Nepenthe

joel

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 07:05:20 PM »
My 44 came with a dowel about an 1/8th inch in diameter.  There is a cap that unscrews on the top of the tanks.  It has a stainless rod attached, but it is too hard to read.
 Iíve since added gauges.  I also carry a second dowel for the water tanks.

Sailsteady

Measuring tank capacity
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 01:48:25 PM »
Greetings all!

I'm curious if anyone knows what Hylas' intent was for measuring fuel tank levels on the earlier H46s?  Since there are no fuel tank gauges on my boat nor a factory gauge stick, it's pretty much a guessing game.  Has anyone made their own gauge stick to determine remaining gallons in each of the tanks?

I recognize there are plenty of aftermarket solutions available for measuring remaining volume but I'm wondering what the original intent was from the factory.  Maybe there was a factory dipstick which is no longer on my boat?

Thanks in advance.

Dan
s/v Nepenthe
1997 H46

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below