Author Topic: Maxwell windlass door switches  (Read 605 times)

RobS

Re: Maxwell windlass door switches
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 02:11:01 AM »
After multiple failures in my foot switches (usually at the worst of times), I installed a wireless controller which worked like a dream every time I anchored during our 2019 winter cruise.  Remote control goes in my pocket in a plastic bag, and allows me to stand or kneel where I need to for best visibility on the anchor.  I enthusiastically recommend this upgrade to all.  I bought the wireless system for less than $50 on Amazon, I think it was designed for winches on ATVs.  It came with two remote controls.  Very comforting to have complete redundancy on the controls for this crucial system.

Hobiehobie

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 05:58:48 AM »
To close the loop on this, indeed it was the neutral wire.  Where it splits in the chain locker to go port and starboard, the junction was corroded, it fell apart as soon as i wiggled it!  I cut the wires, redid the connections and sealed them up with a big glob of silicone.  Good as new.  Thank you for your collective thoughts and help.

Ripple

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 08:52:52 PM »
I would first check to insure power is to the foot switches. Put a voltmeter between a foot switch terminal and a convenient neutral, maybe the neutral on the windlass motor. If no power, try the other terminal on the same foot switch. If still no power, then you have to figure out why. I assume that the you have a 12 volt breaker that turns off power to the foot switches and, on my boat, disables the cockpit switch as well. Since your cockpit switch is working, that should not be an issue. Since the foot switches failed together, something common to both had to fail. That would be the hot wire. I would bet that salt water has deteriorated the hot wire on the port switch. JR

Hobiehobie

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 06:29:52 PM »
Thanks all for your suggestions.  Today I cleaned the foot switch contacts although they did not show any signs of corrosion. Also cleaned the foot switch terminal connections.  Again no apparent reason for failure.  Still non operable.  The foot switches are only a couple of years old as we upgraded to stainless covers and changed the switches at the same time. Cockpit buttons working fine.  I have a email in to Vetus / Maxwell to see what they have to suggest.

tbglynn

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 03:54:35 PM »
Yep.  The contacts in those switches are big slabs of metal, very robust.  Clean them up with emery cloth and reinstall them and you'll be back in business.

The solenoids should be found in a box in the forepeak under the v berth.  They are easy enough to access and change (change them all if you go to that much trouble), but if the cockpit switch works, it will be the contacts on the deck switches.

Tim Glynn
s/v Egraine 44/45/5 #84

Anthem

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 07:11:59 AM »
I had same problem as Jay.  Contacts were corroded.  Cleaning them was all that was needed.  At a different time the solenoid relay in up mode began to stick shut when it got hot causing the motor to continue operating.  Swapped the up for the down, which hadn't obviously seen the same hard service, and that worked fine until replacing the enter unit.  If your cockpit switches are working properly it isn't the relay.  Cheers, Jack

jay

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:15:15 PM »
I would suggest taking both switches out and cleaning the contact points that are made when you press the rubber button.  These tend to get corroded, and will fail to make contact.  If that's what it is, it is an easy fix.  The switches are sealed with a bit of silicone, so you may have to pry that away, and re-seal when installing.
Best of luck
Jay hy56#12

Ripple

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 04:57:26 PM »
The cockpit switch should operate the same relay as the bow foot switches. I suspect that the common, neutral wire to the foot switches has been compromised.

Hobiehobie

Maxwell windlass door switches
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:23:32 AM »
H54 #50. Our windlass foot switches suddenly stopped working. But the remote buttons in the cockpit still operate the windlass up and down.  We suspect that there is a switching relay gone bad that is shown in the Maxwell wiring diagram but we cannot find it!  Any ideas where it is?  Or any other ideas why the foot switches are suddenly inoperable?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below