Author Topic: Removing galley sink / replacement  (Read 795 times)

stgermain45

Re: Removing galley sink / replacement
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »
Figured I'd come back for an update on my previous posts. The drain of the sink we installed was only about a half inch above the waterline which caused slow drainage. We decided to add an automatic Whale grey waste pump that evacuates water when sensed. No sump, straight overboard via vented loop and it works great. Always a compromise on boats. Love the deep sink but gravity drainage was KISS.

Chris
S/V Beleza, H46 #44

CabezonBD

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 10:19:00 PM »
Thanks to all who contributed to this post. Weunfortunately need to replace our engine. The old engine was dismantled for troubleshooting and was pulled from the boat by 4 big guys. Basically the block was left minus the transmission and flywheel.

Anyway new engine arrived and itís too tall to install. We needed to remove the galley sink. Two full days later, itís out. The sink is not an easy removal, but the ,tips on this post really helped us understand the steps we needed to take for removal. Overall the handiest tool for removal was an oscillating saw(not a saber saw, but not sure of the proper name). Still lots of hand tool work as well.....wood chisel, hammer, pry bars, box cutter with long blades etc.

Now to the real task of installing the new engine.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 04:45:02 AM by CabezonBD »

Windswept

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 01:00:54 PM »
Chris....thank you for your great reply and info. I'll PM you this evening. I just measured my removed existing sink....it is 25 inch long? Looking at your pic's....it sure looks like your counter top is longer than #028 Windsweps. If I went in with a 30" I would not have much counter left on the ends. I will measure this evening and PM. Thanks Don

stgermain45

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 11:53:51 PM »
Hi Don,

It was definitely a big project. I went at it 4 days in a row for about 14 hours each. Worth the result but a lot of labor. In fact, we had our sink sitting in storage for about 15 months in procrastination of undertaking the task. I really think yours will be easier being a top mount sink and engine removed, but boat projects are always more work than anticipated!  ;) Also, I re-read your post from Feb 24 and I think your idea would work fine if it's the approach you want to take.

The sink we used is this one:
https://www.costco.com/Hahn-Chef-Series-Handmade-Extra-Large-Single-Bowl-Sink.product.100321355.html
https://www.shophahn.com/kitchen-sinks/stainless-steel/small-radius/hahn-small-radius-extra-large-single-bowl-sink/

and faucet:
https://www.costco.com/Hansgrohe-Talis-M-Pull-Down-Kitchen-Faucet-.product.100339741.html

Just a caution that this sink is deep at 10 inches. In our case, we were OK but not by much. I even reused one of our old drains because it was shallower. It doesn't seem quite as high quality as the Kindred sink we removed and scratches a bit easier (I think? maybe because it's new it shows everything), but the sink Queen Long put in was a $800 sink! Having said that, we're definitely very happy with it. I just want to throw it out there that if your boat is loaded up with a lot of heavy cruising $#1T this sink might be at the waterline! Then again, if you used it overmount, perhaps a non issue - just measure well! As for engine access, it is no deeper now that the box is removed. We plan to add some sound proofing around the underside of the sink but not reconstruct a box.

You asked about dimensions. It was a little larger than our prior sink but not an issue for undermount. The old sink was roughly 29-1/4" x 16 1/4" and I think 7.5" deep. The new is 30" x 17" and 10" deep. Yes, it's huge...our original was a big sink too.

I do think the fiddles sit on top of the corian. If you look at my earlier post, you'll see what Victor (engineer at QL) told me about first having to remove the fiddles if removing the countertop. I just don't think it's feasible to remove the corian without first removing the fiddles.

To get the old sink out, I had to route/cut out the plywood holding it from underneath. I did this with a dremel tool and followed it up hammering a flat head screwdriver and/or hammer cap putty knife to scrape up the plywood. Basically cut out an additional inch or so of plywood all around the bottom of the corian to expose the underside of the sink lip. That definitely took the most amount of time with also the fine tuning of routing out enough clearance for the new sink to fit flush in place. You won't have to do this if sticking with overmount. This job also creates a mess and a large cleanup of dust and scraps. I tarped our engine. Your having the engine out is a luxury for this project!

Let me know if you have additional questions. Happy to share my experience.

Regards,
Chris
S/V Beleza, H46 #44

Windswept

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 06:21:43 PM »
Hello Chris....nice job! I can't even imagine the struggle you went through ;( Wow, pulled the box or rather disassembled with the engine in place, dang! Great results though. I have to ask you....if I may,  where did you get that sink? Showed Gloria your pics...she likes it, so do I!!!

Question: Do you think your fiddles are sitting on top of the Corian? I'm pretty sure our's is #28 which is creating all the problems regarding, removing existing Corian. To tell you the truth....if my sink was under mount (as your's) I'm pretty sure I'd leave well alone, LOL. But, my top set sink is a PITA big time as you might imagine. I could never understand a working galley or home kitchen sink, set top set. Difficult to sweep/clean.

Question#2, is your new sink the same dimensions as your old sink, depth, width, length??

Last question.... just curious, How did you get the old sink flang past the existing plywood top?

btw: Our sink situation has main priority while the engine is out.... ;)

Thanks!
Don
Windswept H46 #028

stgermain45

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 12:19:47 AM »
I finally got around to taking on this project. Attached is the before and after. In our case, we hated the double sink since (1) the faucet always seemed to hit the divider and splash all over the counter and (2) the small section of the double basin was located under the stairs. It would have been nice to have the small section double as a drying area, but foot traffic made us rethink that. Different strokes for different folks, but if we want to have a pool of water to assist in washing, we'll use a pot. We far prefer a single basin. I know our boats have a lot of variation in this area, so my experience might not be yours...

This project did not disappoint on the expectation that it would be difficult. We too did not want to remove the fiddles and the Corian countertop so I went at it from below. Our sink is undermount so it was a much bigger task for removal. Hylas definitely first built and installed the box, then dropped in the sink, then installed the countertop. Many of the screws holding the sides of the box together come from the top, so if you're not removing the countertop, destruction of the plywood box is probably necessary. I could cut the screws with a dremel with flex tool on 3 sides, but resorted to prying on the stbd side where there was no access for a tool. After the box is removed, there is enough room to get at all sides with small-ish tools. The actual sink was not held in by clips/studs but instead sitting on plywood and bedded with a generous amount of caulk. Fortunately it's not 5200 or anything like I've read of other manufacturers. For removal, I cut/routed the plywood an inch or two exposing all sides of the sink lip from underneath. I then heated a putty knife with a heat gun and sliced into the caulk in between the Corian and stainless sink which eventually released the sink.

Our boat had 12VDC and 120VAC outlets installed on the plywood box. I relocated these to the door.

Of note, if moving to a deeper sink, just keep in mind that you'll probably start to come pretty close to the waterline.

Hope this is helpful!

Chris
S/V Beleza, H46 #44

joel

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 04:17:51 PM »
For those with Polar sinks -  the company is now Vollrath.  the model 102-1 is now a 102-1-1.

Windswept

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 04:22:40 PM »
Comtemplating sink issue here. We have the engine out....so I know exactly how much clearance between the engine and the sink/box is ....Real PITA with the deep sink. On top of that the existing sink is top set...another PITA due to the lip and cleaning issues. My plan (sink is out at the moment) find a single bowl sink (less depth) then router the existing sink hole flange down, so  new sink sits flush with existing counter top. Now, using new 3/8 Corian glue to existing counter without removing fiddles. Needless to say, I'm trying not to remove fiddles.

After completion, just raising the finish counter the 3/8 I will still have enough fiddle heigth to keep items within fiddles. I plan on replicating the other side of the Island.

Regarding the box... my plan is just remove the bottom ply, cut the sides down, construct a new bottom, & insulate.

At completion.... I'll have an under mount sink, one drain, (Yea) and more space in the engine bay.

If anyone has more options finding a new sink....sure would be appreciated!

Don SV Windswept H46 #028

joel

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 04:46:42 PM »
Kindred does have a single bowl model that will work, as do Elkay and Blanco.  Kindred seems to be sold only in Canada.

We are contemplating going with quartz for a different look.

Also, we can have a custom stainless sink built to the original specs for a couple hundred dollars more.

Thanks for the advice!
Joel

stgermain45

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 10:13:08 PM »
Our current double sink is a "Steel Queen" model manufactured by Kindred. Maybe they have some suitably deep options.
http://www.kindred-sinkware.com/

One option is to switch to undermount style where exact fit isn't critical. It could open you up to a bunch of options from various manufacturers. We selected a Hahn for a replacement (single basin), but they have 10" deep double basins.
https://www.shophahn.com

Chris
SV Beleza, H46 #44
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:44:53 PM by stgermain45 »

joel

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »
Hylas provided me with info on the original sink.  It was a Polar 102-1.  It is no longer made.

I've looked on-line but can't find one, so I am looking at options.  There are single bowl sinks that are just as deep, but I have not found a double bowl sink that deep that fits.

Info is:
Brand: Polar
Model: 102-1
Length: 25"
Width: 17"
Individual bowl size: 10" x 14"
Depth: 9-3/4", Drain: 3-1/2" in center of bowls
Cutout size: 23-5/8" x 15-5/8"
Self-Rimming-Heavy Duty
Extra deep

Sailsteady

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 04:41:09 PM »
Following!

joel

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 05:34:51 PM »
I removed the plywood box only to find that none of the clips or studs were remaining.  The sink was held down with adhesive. With a couple putty knives, hammer, multitool and heat gun I removed the sink. 

joel

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 02:42:21 AM »
Thanks. Iíve got a drop in sink. It never occurred to me that they would attach the sink first. The plywood box will be removed. Worst case I will cut out the sink and replace it.

stgermain45

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 01:34:52 AM »
No firsthand experience yet, but this has long been on our non-priority project list. We have a new single basin replacement sink still in a box in a storage unit.

http://hylasyachts.org/index.php/topic,762.0.html

Removal will depend on whether yours is overmount or undermount. From your description and since you're asking in the first place, it sounds like yours is undermount like ours and much more difficult a task. This was the response from an engineer at QL when we inquired:

It is big modification.  We installed the galley sink before we installed the countertop.   Here are our suggestions for how to remove the galley sink.

Suggestion 1 - from top counter: Remove the fiddles around the countertop -> remove countertop -> after then remove the galley sink.

Suggestion 2 - from engine room: Destroy plywood around galley sink then remove the galley sink

We hope some helps.  Please feel free to contact us if you have questions.

We assume there are your typical undermount style clips/brackets holding it in, but we haven't gone down to that level of exploratory surgery. Would really appreciate pictures if you get into this project!

Chris
SV Beleza, H46 #44

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below